need a smallish exterior door

screamerJune 9, 2008

Hi all, new member here:

Brick Tudor Home was built in 1930. The entry door on rear of garage just gave up / deteriorated. It measures 32 x 76. Todays standard door is 30, 32, 34,... x 80. Any ideas how to get a door for this opening? I can't widen the opening since it's made of fieldstone & brick.

...screamer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theporchguy

screamer,
Sounds like its' also time for a new door jamb as well. Check it out.
Anyway the door size you need is 32 x 76. Your local lumber yard can order that exact size for you. I order odd sizes all the time or cut them down myself.
This may not be a DIY job. You might need a carpenter. But the whole thing is doable.

Good Luck

The PorchGuy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

Bookmark   June 9, 2008 at 11:37AM
johnmari

Architectural salvage is a potential option, too... many of the doors at the local places are oddly sized. You can find doors that have peely scroungy paint but are still rock solid beneath, and suit the architecture of the house (so it's a back door to a garage, there's no reason why it shouldn't fit stylistically!).

Bookmark   June 9, 2008 at 3:38PM
Carol_from_ny

Summertime means garage cleanouts are here. Keep a tape measure in the car and shop the curbs, you might luck out.
Another option is to see if your area has a architectural salvage group, not for profit. They often remove stuff like that from houses that will be torn down and sell them dirt cheap a few times a year.
Craigslist and Freecycle are two other options.

Bookmark   June 9, 2008 at 8:38PM
patser

You'll never get this size door 'off the shelf', but it can be custom ordered at about any "real" lumberyard.

Salvage, as has been mentioned, is another option.

Bookmark   June 10, 2008 at 7:31AM
dickross

Most wooden doors can be cut down several inches. Check manufacturers websites of different brands to find one that can be cut down 4".
If the door rotted out then there's a good chance that the jambs are not in good shape either. look for a prehung door.

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 11:02PM
sisc

Have you checked craigslist? or maybe even e-bay? Trying to find a door to your size can be a real pain. Good luck!

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
Foundation problem?
Hi all, this is a 1950s cape and every winter when...
kevingalaxy
Color advice for new front door
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
dmatlosz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™