Air Krete

bobleyJune 7, 2008

Anyone used this? Any general thoughts on this versus blown cellulose insulation?

For the attic, what about blown cellulose versus greener denim/wool options?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
concretenprimroses

Be careful. I have heard that it can crumble, if the wall is hit with a hammer for instance. I would ask about this specifically and get something in writing. It could be that they have changed their formula in the last decade and fixed this problem.

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 10:28AM
bobley

Interesting. If the cement based products crumble and the cellulose products can cause moisture problems in older homes, isn't one better off just leaving the walls uninsulated, but well sealed for infiltration by closing up any air leaks.

Is it possible to do any electrical work in the walls once one blows in any form of insulation? I would think you would then have to cut walls open instead of pulling wires.

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 12:44PM
info_envirotechinsulation_ca

Really not a problem. If a major renovation is going on, then yes it might break and crumble a bit. But if left alone then it will not break down.

If someone hits a window with a hammer, then the window will break, maybe we shouldn't use glass in windows?

I have had work done on my roof, and siding, the airkrete was still there after the work was done (hammering, and building a gable end on the hip roof end). I have had clients do windows after insulating with no problems. If you want to damage it, you can, but it won't just fall apart

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 9:11PM
worthy

Greenbuilding Advisor noted problems with crumbling AirKrete last year.

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 10:42PM
More Discussions
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™