did you ever freeze cooked bacon?

stacy3September 5, 2008

ok, to put it mildly, I'm not a morning person. To get up and get my act together to make some grandiose (well, actually even a non-grandiose - hee hee!) breakfast before school is just unfathomable to me.

Will has always been fine with this - as he typically doesn't want to eat much in the morning. - a pb and banana sandwich, or a bowl of cereal, or a container of yogurt is usually fine.

But, after tasting blueberry pancakes recently, he wants them every day! I made some and froze two in each freezer bag - and plan to make more next week...but he always asks if there's any bacon. Please don't tell me how quickly I could fry up a slice or two - lol. I know that.

I'm just wondering if I could make some bacon - put into freezer bags and have his entire "homemade" breakfast in the freezer - HA! really! Or would it get too crumbly?

I get up and hang out with him and chat and stuff while I have some coffee. I'm just not into dirtying up the kitchen that early and frankly my mind's foggy - it might not be that safe ;-).

Thanks, Stacy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chase_gw

Dunno about freezing but I used to fry extra bacon (don't let it get too crispy) and maybe some sausages on the weekend place in a baggie and refrigerate. Then just reheat in the microwave at the same time as the pancakes are reheating. I'd do enough for the week which wasn't much for a kid.

Worked fine...well fine enough for her!

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 2:02PM
compumom

Stacy, I'm so not a morning person either. I have a great Nordicware microwave bacon tray that takes no time. Each slice takes a bit over a minute to cook. Also Oscar Meyer has pre-cooked bacon that you nuke to warm up, so that's an option too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Nordicware

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 2:10PM
TobyT

I do it all the time. I cook the bacon to about 80% done, drain, lay on a clean cookie sheet and freeze, then dump it all in a zip lock bag. I ususally do 2 or 3 lbs at a time, as it doesn't mess up the kitchen anymore than one pound does!
While we try not to eat a ton of bacon, doing it this way makes it easy to grab a slice or two and nuke them for a recipe or for a sandwich, etc.
I also freeze pancakes and french toast as well as sausages, as I am already gone to work when my daughters get up. This way they can have a warm breakfast with minimal mess or clean-up.
Jane

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 2:26PM
triciae

Yes, Stacy, it freezes fine. Just nuke for 15-20 seconds as you're putting the pancakes on Will's plate & you're good to go!

DH isn't a morning person either. I drive him nuts 'cause I'm always up before 5:00 a.m. & ready to start the day. By the time he's moving, I'm ready for a mid-day nap! :)

/tricia

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 2:31PM
trsinc

If you want to do a bunch at a time before freezing, you can bake it in the oven. That's how I always do it, because I hate the clean up at any time of day! I lay the pieces side by side on a cookie sheet (mine is more like a jelly roll pan with higher sides than a cookie sheet) or in a frying pan and bake at 400 degrees.

When it's about half done I flip them over. They turn out just the same as when cooked on the stove. I've done it in the toaster oven too, but that makes me a little nervous.

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 2:52PM
wizardnm

I freeze extra cooked bacon all the time. Handy for salads, sandwiches, etc.

Here's another idea that might work for Will's Blueberry Pancake kick...

Make a bunch of the pancakes, all the same size.
Cook the bacon.
Cook half as many eggs as you have pancakes.
Assemble pancake sandwiches (pancake, egg, bacon and top with a second pancake).
Put each sandwich in a zipper bag and freeze.
Reheat in the microwave on a plate. Eat as a sandwich or top with syrup.

Not that hard to have a couple of weeks worth of fast breakfasts.

BTW....it takes me two hours to wake up....unless I really have something fun planned....like shopping.

Nancy

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 2:57PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I'm the same way Nancy. I can get up with gusto for those wee hour after Christmas sales.

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 6:43PM
stacy3

hee heee - I didn't expect true confessions - LOL.

thanks for all the help! and the giggles.

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 7:12PM
beanthere_dunthat

Stacy - I do it all the time. I usually cook a pound at a time, then pull out a couple slices as needed. Wrap it tightly so you don't end up with ice crystals forming in any of the fat streaks.

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 9:16PM
BeverlyAL

Stacy, I usually get up from 4:30 to 5:30 because I can't sleep any more, yet I can't get going and don't offer anyone breakfast until 9:00. So you can see you are not the only one. I would do as some other here suggest, cooking it until nearly done, wrap well and nuke the next morning. It probably wouldn't be something for a sophisticated pallette but good enough for our kids.

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 9:36PM
loagiehoagie

That pre-cooked bacon is pretty good. There are several brands and I like everyone I've tried. 30 seconds in the microwave and voila! Bacon! I hardly ever buy the stuff I have to cook anymore. This is the lazy...oops....easy way!

Duane

Bookmark   September 6, 2008 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
Feels like the longest winter ever- anyone else dying for ramps?
Ok, so I can't stop thinking about ramp season. Maybe...
kiwigem
What's Your Favorite Meal? To cook, to eat, to repeat...
Celebrate the continuation of the forum, and tell me...
plllog
Question for Grainlady or other good bakers
My daughter-in-law has recently developed gluten intolerance--she...
laceyvail
Once it was so easy..............................
To find whatever one wanted quickly. Now everything...
Robert Givens
Help me speak "mexican"
I have little familiarity with Mexican food...or the...
Annie Deighnaugh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™