What to do with attic cubby hole???

household_6June 29, 2005

Hello, I have just moved into an older house that was built in the 40's. The upstairs of the house which originally used to be the attic storage room has been made into a big bedroom somewhere along the line.

That is now my boy's bedroom. Since it is so big I've kind of split it into two rooms. It's the type of room that has the pointed church style ceiling and short 4-5 foot side walls. Anyway, someone has built a cute little what I would call a cubby hole into one of the walls. It has two doors on it and the doors are flush with the wall. The "hole" is about a 4x4x4 square. It extends about 4 feet behind the main wall. And it's all made of cedar. I hope I'm making sense here.

I think it was meant for storage. But, right now I have nothing in it. I would like to take the doors off and make it into something for the kids. But, I have no idea what. I hate to waste that space though. It's so unique and I think I could do something fun with it. But what????

Any ideas? My boys are 10 and almost 13, so I don't want to do anything too kiddish.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vjrnts

You have a cedar closet, for the storage of clothing and linens. The cedar keeps moths and mildew and mustiness away and is a very nice thing to have. I'd like one for winter-weight bed linens, myself.

I'd use it as intended, rather than making something for the kids. If it weren't cedar I'd say make a little room out of it, but the cedar makes it valuable for storage.

Bookmark   June 29, 2005 at 7:50AM
Carol_from_ny

If you aren't going to store clothing and things in there why not store the boys camping and /or sports gear in there. Maybe store the boys seasonal clothing in that space.

Bookmark   June 29, 2005 at 12:42PM
household_6

Thanks for the replies.

I'm wanting to take the doors off and so it will be open to the room. I was thinking along the lines of putting a bean bag to sit on in there along with something else. I just have no idea. But, I would really like to open it up and use it as something cute for the boys.

Bookmark   June 30, 2005 at 12:32AM
sharon_sd

It doesn't take much. I'd leave the doors on.

My 11 year old grandaughter has a mat and a lamp in a cubbyhole under their stairs. She uses it to curl up and read. It is a space that her younger brother and sisters aren't allowed in. She likes to be able to close the doors.

Bookmark   June 30, 2005 at 7:18AM
More Discussions
Should we try to reuse old windows?
I am not sure how old the windows in our second floor...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
dmatlosz
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
Sponsored Products
Raine Loveseat - Key Largo Pumice Beige
Joybird Furniture
Illinois Typography Personalized Canvas
$36.99 | zulily
Delia Single-Hole Bathroom Faucet with Pop-Up Drain
Signature Hardware
Mulinello Satin Nickel Three-Light Mini Pendant with Jade Glass
$432.00 | Bellacor
Ribbed Dome Pendant by Quorum International
$94.50 | Lumens