Renovating and Lead Paint question...
Hi everyone -
I adore old, historic homes and all of their interesting architectural details.
I've been renovating my 1925 arts&crafts bungalow by myself (since none of my friends want to spend all THEIR vacation time and weekends with me doing this work!...).
It recently dawned on me that there's probably lead paint all through my house. This was after last weekend of using the hand sander and the heat gun to strip paint....nice!
Apparently, due to inhaling all the lead paint dust and from eating microscopic lead chips, I am now a bit slow to only now be having this epiphany.
I ran out to Lowes today and bought a lead swab kit. Everything it touched turned fuchia.
So, my question is, how exactly do you strip paint in order to restore without ingesting this stuff?
I have seen tons of old home lovers strip and stain and paint and restore their homes (many web sites I have in my Favorites folder are of home renovation blogs...). None of these people treated their homes like a hazmat site as all the scary lead info suggests.
Do most people simply ignore the lead paint scare and proceed forward?
My current project is to strip 5 original interior doors + 1 exterior 9-light door and all their hardware down to bare wood and stain to original color. I'm 60% done with 2 doors.
I have also stripped base board and other interior items in the house. There are 100+ layers of paint on everything in the house and it chips and flakes constantly - hence my desire to strip everything.
I have no children nor do I plan on having any. But, I do have a couple of cats who have probably been exposed to the lead as I have been.
I do not have $400 for the SPR, but plan on buying it very, very soon. I'm salivating just thinking about that tool...
So, what do most old home renovators do in order to keep renovating but not cause brain damage to themselves?
Plus, that lead paint is practically impossible to remove...grrrr! Does anyone have a method that works to remove it? Besides the $400 SPR machine, that is...
I have tried 3 different kinds of chemical strippers, heat gun and sanding. It is in every pore of the wood I am trying to restore.