Nice Looking Container Solutions? -- Bathroom

bmorehonMay 12, 2007

Hi everyone, We have just recently rennovated our bathroom, but don't have doors yet on our linen closet, so we want to find a nice-looking solution for storage of toiletry items.

To my chagrin, the Hold Everything store is no longer (I guess I've been out of the loop for a while!)

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look for clean, minimal, nice-looking bins or boxes?

TIA for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

There might be other "organization" stores in your area (check your phone book under Storage; I went to the on-line business directory and searched for "organizing"). Then there's always Target and IKEA if you live near one of those.

Bookmark   May 12, 2007 at 11:12AM
steve_o

You also could try larger office-supply stores -- especially the ones which will special-order through a catalog.

Bookmark   May 12, 2007 at 11:13AM
teacats

T.J. Maxx; Linen n Things; Bed, Bath & Beyond --- lots of stores now carry storage items.

Also check out The Container Store online too! Or Organize.com

Bookmark   May 12, 2007 at 11:41AM
gailee

I keep seeing them at Wal Marts and wishing I had some place to put them, and something to put in them.

Bookmark   May 12, 2007 at 3:15PM
minet

I use ones I got at the Container Store. They're also available online. Here's a link to the ones I have:

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=204&PRODID=73486

They come in two sizes, and different translucent colors (I saw green, orange, pink, blue) if you don't want clear. I bought the clear ones because it was easy to see what's inside.

Here are the blue ones:

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=204&PRODID=73492

Bookmark   May 12, 2007 at 3:57PM
bmorehon

Thanks everyone for your suggestions -- the container store is a great resource!

Bookmark   May 14, 2007 at 9:36AM
clink

I like to use funky things around the house for storage. Because we live in an old farmhouse -- alot of my bathroom containers are vintage stuff.

I'm a flower farmer so my bath is garden-themed. We took a kitchen work table -- removed the top--added a shelf at the base. I have no enclosed storage except for two small vintage medicine cabinets.

So I use a pretty basket with liners that I made out of the same fabric as the shower curtain -- one holds make-up (daily essentials only)and the other holds hair dryer, gel and brushes. I use Mc Coy flower pots to hold nail clippers, tweezers, files -- the other holds extra combs and disposable razors.

Old canning jars hold powder puffs, bandaids, bath salts and sit on top of the medicine cabinets.

I have an old tin picnic basket -- it hold feminine hygine products along with a few extra rolls of toliet paper.

I also used a small white bowl for a soap dish -- a cast iron flower frog for a toothbrush holder and a very small flowerpot to hold Q-tips. My garbage can is an enamel slop jar --complete with lid -- it was so new when I bought it the label was still on it!!!

Maybe something different than the same old plastic container????

Cathy

Bookmark   May 14, 2007 at 9:58AM
jaybird

Cathy, I want to come live with you....what a lovely sounding home and a flower farm to boot!!!!!
I'm not too imaginative, so I use baskets for TP, magazines, extra soaps, shampoos, etc.. I use the jars that candles come in (I used up the candles and washed the jars good) for Q-tips and cotton balls. A pretty mug for toothbrush and paste and a small ironstone dish for soap....thhhhhhhat's all folks.

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 1:31PM
quiltglo

I'd probably just put a curtain on a pressure rod to cover the opening until I was ready to put the door up. That way I wouldn't feel like I had to keep the area totally neat and organized. But I do tend to be a bit on the lazy side these days.

Gloria

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 2:36PM
clink

Jaybird -- do you weed???? If so, I will keep you! I use the old candle jars too -- except I use them for herbs and spices. They are so practical.

I love to antique and "junk" -- so I have to find practical purposes for what I buy and storage is always needed. My latest "junque" purchase have been 1930's light shades -- the ones with 3 holes in them. I've been converting them to flower hanging baskets for inside my corncrib/gazebo.

Cathy

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 3:46PM
birdtalker

i bought a bunch of baskets at Goodwill. Also I use glass storage jars for things like q-tips and cottton balls, also bought at goodwill. We moved into a 3 bathroom house from a one bathroom house and I really needed to improvise. Also use some bags with pull ties, perhaps one for each person, in pretty colors.

Bookmark   August 21, 2007 at 8:34PM
rosesr4me

I too love finding new uses for old things (I used to love checking out the newest storage gadgets, but my budget now requires creative, low-cost ways to organize)

I find small glass jars at the Dollar Store, Big Lots, thrift stores, etc. to house cotton balls, swabs, and the like. A milkglass vase from a thrift store keeps my toothbrush/paste handy. I also recycle glass spaghetti jars with the metal lids to hold extra supplies - you can paint the lids to match your decor.

Bookmark   August 22, 2007 at 6:25PM
gigi-f

Are these to be permanent, or temporary? I am also in the process of re-doing everything (that happens when I clear stuff out).

In the bathrooms, I took smallish boxes and covered them with wrapping paper, wrapped them up fancy with the top open, to use temporarily until I figure out what I'm doing. (I come across lots of little boxes so it seems I always have a few) Just a thought, and these worked great for potpourri, and it's easy to change colors of just throw them away.

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 1:57PM
nbacres

Clink:

I'm really interested in hearing more about your corn crib gazebo. We're in the process of starting to "remodel" a wire corn crib. Any help and pictures would be GREAT!.

Love this site.

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 12:56PM
More Discussions
Loved This Book!
I just (quickly!) read "The Life-Changing Magic...
Merrygardener
Can I get rid of my wedding gown?
Hi everyone. We went to spend the weekend with my parents...
tripletmom83
Where do you store reusable bags?
Reusable grocery bags, plastic bags, large paper bags,...
violetwest
Getting rid of part of an item- WWYD
Okay, here's the question: I have a larger, aluminum...
quasifish
Are Lazy Susans useless or is it just me?
I'm in the process of revamping underutilized areas...
Mmmbeeer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™