How to age leather?

coco4444February 19, 2012

Recently puchased a matching ottoman for a pair of sofas originally bought ~5 years ago. Same leather, but not the same lot, and obviously not aged the same! So not a true match... anything suggestions of things I can do to adjust the color?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

Return it for an accent color instead. You'll never get it to match.

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 2:21AM
Circus Peanut

Get some cats. ;-)

Seriously, it's very hard to "age" leather after it's been installed on a piece without actually destroying the finish on it. If it were still an unfinished hide, you could beat it up a little more effectively. It also depends on how it was dyed - if the color doesn't go all the way through, all you'll manage is to make a bunch of white scratches on it.

If you're absolutely set on trying, and are not going to send them back no matter what: you could try extremely fine sandpaper (c. 400 grit) plus your own fingernails to rough it up a little, gently. But in terms of lightening the color I don't think you're going to have any luck. You could try setting them in the bright sunlight outside for a while?

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 11:11AM
coco4444

Thanks. I'm going to try the sunlight maybe when it's a bit warmer outside! It's not that bad, not really noticable in daylight, just incandescent light seems to bring out the difference. It's not an issue of wear, so I don't think beating it (!) will help. It's more a sheen/hue difference.

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 3:06PM
lyfia

Is it lighter or darker? If it is darker you can't do much about it. If it is lighter you can use leather dye to darken it a little. Start testing the dye in an not so visible area. Maybe where it is wrapped underneath.

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 3:58PM
More Discussions
Help coordinating an antique chandelier ?
\\Hello all! I'm working on lighting now...:) I have...
eesmerelda
Carpet only in the closet?
Would you carpet a closet when you've got hardwood...
amberm145
Update on mcm landscaping - slow but sure progress
The concrete patios are in, but still curing. They...
rockybird
How to respond to social backlash aimed at your mid mod aesthestic? R
Today's retrorenovation blog was filled with subjects...
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
What kind of rug pad for large area rug
I purchased an 8x11 area rug and need to know what...
debo_2006
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™