Corner Storage solution?

Maura63May 13, 2008

I have an empty corner in my family room, next to a doorway that leads to our so-called mud room (which is lacking in storage options). I would like to get a storage unit of some sort for this corner. I want this to be closed storage, since it will be hiding things you might typically find in a mud room. (Or, at the very least, closed storage below and maybe a "display" upper part.)

I am undecided about getting an actual "corner" piece, which would look nice, aesthetically -- or if I should consider a standard bookcase (with closed lower storage) and caddy-corner it. I think the second option provides more space.

If you have either, please tell me the pros and cons of these options -- thanks!

Maura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mvastian

Maura,

It seems none here has either of these...

It would help though, if you said what you plan to store in that unit.

(I´m not sure what you mean by caddy-corner it.)

What I would do however is, first, have some functional, easy to use and eye pleasing storage in the mud-room (like a combination of A FEW hooks/shelves/baskets, maybe a bench) for the things that we use everyday coming and going, like a launch pad for every member of the family. Then, I would just close off the corner you mention behind doors (a custom made corner closet) and fit it with hooks and shelves - not to deep, to allow for a big item, like a vacuum cleaner, to be placed on the floor at the front. The closet would hold the extra mud-room type things, that you don´t use daily but want to have on hand.

I would never ever get a corner unit with display space at the top.

Just my 2 cents.

Maria

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 3:09AM
mvastian

I meant to say: a custom made BUILT-IN corner closet, not free standing.

You don´t mention if you rent or own the place though.

Maria

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 3:13AM
talley_sue_nyc

Maura's renting (Did I remember right? Maybe I have you confused w/ someone), I think, so custom built-in wouldn't be that useful in that situation.

If it's renting, I think I'd try to stick w/ a rectangular cabinet instead of triangular.

I have a triangular *closet*, and it's the only size that fits there, but it's sort of a pain--stuff gets in the way-back corner and it's hard to get out. I have to do funky things w/ folding the towels, etc. If rectangular were an option, I'd pick it.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
Are Lazy Susans useless or is it just me?
I'm in the process of revamping underutilized areas...
Mmmbeeer
Get rid of cookbooks, and cook more?
About a year ago, I got rid of most of my cookbooks...
quasifish
What to do with hundreds of CDs
I have nice storage boxes filled with hundreds of CDs...
janeway452
Why I look in the box before tossing
One of the boxes I recently sorted through was marked...
talley_sue_nyc
How do you let go of stuff that's worth money?
On the "share your success" thread, taft...
talley_sue_nyc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™