pull outs

hibiscus53May 12, 2007

As I have mentioned we are moving in about a week. The new kitchen has basic cabinets and I'm going to have to do some sort of pull out shelving to ease my back. I know there are tons on-line products but wanted some input and experiences. Also the pantry is small with ventilated shelving.Ideas please!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claire_de_luna

Rev-a-shelf has a complete line of products. I have their laundry bins in my laundry closet and they're working very well. I know several in the kitchen forum that use/like them too. My old kitchen was similar to yours and we put wire baskets in the cabinets that slide which helped enormously. Good luck with your move.

Here is a link that might be useful: rev-a-shelf

Bookmark   May 12, 2007 at 10:07AM
Maura63

Our kitchen was remodeled about 5 years ago, and when considering the pull-out feature for base cabinets, I decided against it. It gives you less actual storage space.

As a back-saver-solution, many like-items in the lower cabinets are stored in bins/baskets. These can temporarily be set on the counter for the task at hand.

Also as a back-saver, I keep a small folding chair in one of my tall cabinets, that I use when I need to spend time organizing a lower cabinet or when I clean out the fridge. (This is also handy as extra seating at the table when guests are over.)

I bought mine locally, at a place called Amazing Savings for about $7, but I've since seen them at Walmart. I've seen them with and without backs. I'm sorry I didn't get two since it is also useful when filing or cleaning out dresser drawers. But it is very lightweight and worth retrieving when needed.

Maura

Bookmark   May 13, 2007 at 10:07AM
talley_sue_nyc

shelvesthatslide.com
makes pullouts to order--lots of different styles, different slides, different heights to the sides.

Good directions for how to order them. Not difficult to put in for someone w/ a little experience w/ a drill and a level.

It's true pullouts eat up some of the storage space. So do drawers (my cabinet drawers do not go all the way to the back of the cabinet--there's about a 2" gap back there).

But if back problems are a problem, it's a fair trade-off to make.

If you have a handyman type person around, you can order drawer boxes from some place like MapleCraftUSA.com, and order the adjustable drawer-slide setup from Rockler.com

(do a Google search for "drawer boxes" and find lots of companies that sell drawer boxes, which is all a pullout is anyway; just perhaps w/ a shorter side, and they'll make them that way too; most hardware sources will sell the adjustable-shelf-standard/drawer-slide setup)

The brackets work w/ 3/4 and full-extension slides. My vote: get full extension, and see if you can put 3 in a spot most people would put 2 (lay cans on their sides, for example, and space the shelves very closely together, so the fattest can JUST slips by).

Here is a link that might be useful: Accuride Shelf Standard Slide Brackets

Bookmark   May 14, 2007 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
Best Closet Organizer to install yourself
Which closet organizer is your favorite. We will install...
mitzibarnes
How do you let go of stuff that's worth money?
On the "share your success" thread, taft...
talley_sue_nyc
Organizing/de cluttering success (please share yours too!)
I cleaned out and organized the tool box! We live in...
sloedjinn
Anyone know of good boxes (plastic?) for storing papers?
I've been purging DD's school work and paper crafts...
quasifish
Loved This Book!
I just (quickly!) read "The Life-Changing Magic...
Merrygardener
Sponsored Products
Burgundy & Black Reversible Comforter Set
$21.99 | zulily
Bold 27" Tool Chest
$749.00 | FRONTGATE
Arc Oil Rubbed Bronze One-Light Outdoor Wall Lantern
$80.00 | Bellacor
Bedroom Carving Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Loft Matte Nickel Nine-Light Chandelier
$355.00 | Bellacor