x post $ of digging out basement Phila.

palimpsestMay 1, 2010

I am looking at a house with a 6.5' basement ceiling height. What is a ballpark figure for digging out a 15'x 40' basement? It does have access to the outside through a bulkhead.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
antiquesilver

I don't know the answer to your question - & don't know the age of your building - but are you sure the footings are deep enough to allow for a lower floor? Or do you even have footings? I'm in an urban area in the mid-Atlantic, & 19th century townhouses around here didn't have footings - they laid the first brick course directly on clay about 8-12" below the intended basement floor.

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 2:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

Its a fairly common thing to dig out basements here, and what is often done is to not dig out the entire width or length of the building but rather leave a perimeter of undisturbed (relatively, I guess) soil around the foundation and dig out the middle Then it ends up having a shelf of sorts around the whole thing that is concreted.

You are right, though, it may not be possible or advisable depending upon the situation. I know someone who has two adjoined houses and they dug out one basement and essentially filled the other one in. Two adjacent foundations, two different scenarios. They couldn't give me an idea about the price since it was bundled into a whole gut renovation.

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 11:35AM
More Discussions
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
Color advice for new front door
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™