expired boxed food mixes

darlene87May 22, 2006

Last week I read on some site, please don't ask me which one, since I read a lot of health and related items. Some lady had posted that she made pancakes, with a mix she always uses. In about half hr. her son was wheezing, his lips turned blue. She knew it was shock, called the hosp. They said to bring the box mix along with syrup and juice in. It turned out they got the boy well, and she was given a paper on old mixes. There is a type of mold that grows on grains and flours, and her son was given a test, and that is what it was. So that is one good reason to toss out expired food with flours in them. I suppose one could do a search online for this and find more on it.

Darlene

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
infodivamary3

This is a pretty old story, printed in Dear Abby in 2003. There was a medical journal article in 2001 about anaphylaxis (a very severe, potentially fatal allergic reaction) in an individual who ate some foul-tasting pancakes made from old moldy pancake mix.

The individual had a history of multiple allergies, including pets, mold, and penicillin.

The researchers called it an "unusual case," so let's not get too carried away here.

    Bookmark   May 22, 2006 at 2:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
livingthedream

Completely dry foodstuffs, like dry cake and pancake mixes, don't grow mold. So it would take more than the package being old to have that problem. And once moisture gets into ingredients that should be kept dry, the product doesn't have to be over-age to have a mold problem.

    Bookmark   May 22, 2006 at 3:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

My husband had an allergic reaction after putting some dried spices on pizza. I think it was the old oregano. It gave him a headache and tightness in his chest,trouble breathing.

    Bookmark   May 23, 2006 at 9:15AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Large closet advice
I'm turning a spare bedroom into a dressing room and...
helsharmar
Where to donate a 15yo nebulizer
Years ago, when my now-17-y-o was a little one, he...
talley_sue_nyc
Organizing vs. Cleaning?
Have discovered in the last few weeks that I get a...
des_arc_ya_ya
Useful article on closets from TOH
I'm impressed with this article from This Old House,...
violetwest
Are Lazy Susans useless or is it just me?
I'm in the process of revamping underutilized areas...
Mmmbeeer
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™