Smoke damage in 1913 house

msbitsyMay 13, 2009

My husband and I have a 1913 Queen Anne style home under contract. It's currently divided up into four apartments and a total disaster. There was a fire in the lower level of the house and the house still reeks. My H and I are going to have the house gutted to the studs and then will have the areas of damage replaced and/or sprayed with shellac. Will this be enough to eliminate the smell?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"My H and I are going to have the house gutted to the studs..."

There are much easier ways to kill smoke smell than ripping out what are likely plaster walls.

Have you priced plaster wall replacement?
Not veneer plaster (over blue board) but the real thing about 3/4 inches thick?

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 10:02PM
msbitsy

We're not going down to the studs because of the smoke damage -- the house is in bad shape and currently in 4 apartments. We need to remove walls to get the house back to where it should be. We'll keep what plaster we can.

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 11:33PM
brickeyee

If it was divided up anytime in the last 50 years nothing you remove is likely to be plaster.

Shellac is very effective at sealing in fire odors.

Use at least 2 pound cut, and 3 pound would be better.

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 5:42PM
missouri1

I'm not sure how to remedy the smell but I wanted to wish you the best in your venture. Our recent house purchase has fire damage but thankfully it is mostly on the outside of the house (the porch is pretty burned) although some smoke did come into the house and the back door is charred badly. This is a case where the asbestos shingle siding really did save the house.

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 12:18AM
sacto_diane

I have seem several options used. Spraying with a shellac based primer is probably the used the most often. You may need to do multiple coats. Another option that I have seen used is dry ice "sand blasting" where dry ice crystals are used in place of sand to remove the smoke residue. The dry ice disappears after blasting so clean up is minimal. Google "dry ice fire damage"

Here is a link that might be useful: sample link

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
Stripper for stripper-resistant paint?
I'm having a tough time removing multiple layers of...
dilettante_gw
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
Foundation problem?
Hi all, this is a 1950s cape and every winter when...
kevingalaxy
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™