Island Base-help please!

Laura517February 4, 2013

My KD likes the look of a furniture base for our planned 51" x 84" island. I also like the look, but plan to prep at the island and don't want to be bumping into the toe kick. Does anyone have a base similar to the one pictured and if so does it bug you when you prep? We will use 2 sides of the island for seating and 2 sides for prep. What do you all think? I believe the base is going to be 3 1/2" . My cabinets are semi-custom so we are somewhat limited in what we can do.

PS please don't knock my overall kitchen plan, it is pretty much set, and I know you all see my base cabinets vs drawers- I feel I have to defend it...we do have a 4 drawer stack opposite the range.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
2LittleFishies

Our island is like that but has a toe kick on the prep side. I would HATE not having a toe kick.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 10:45AM
Laura517

Thanks 2LF, that's what I thought. KD says we can have the molding on 2 sides and toe kick on the other 2. Wrapping the base around all 4 sides will give it a finished look but I know it will drive me and DH crazy.
Oh I also had the wrong height- base molding will be 4 5/8".

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 12:50PM
mrsmortarmixer

You could always do something like this. I think it still gives a nice furniture/finished look while still allowing room for toes.

Traditional Kitchen design by Detroit Interior Designer M B Wilson Interior Design

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 9:31PM
More Discussions
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
How do I get a rich, warm, chocolate brown stain on oak cabinets?
We originally wanted white cabinets, but the painter...
aryno
Dishwasher location
How is the location of dishwasher determined? Left...
ourgeorgiahouse
Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floors?
I think dark hardwood floors look beautiful with off...
peemps
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™