Height difference of staggered cabinets?

lodaladyFebruary 22, 2009

Please help me and add pictures if you can.

We are removing the lovely soffet in our remodel. The kitchen ceiling is 8ft and we have chosen staggered cabinets. The lowers will have glass doors. The hickory cabinets are custom by an Amish cabinet maker, and even though he has done many kitchens, we aren't on the same page for cabinet heights. To him staggered is six inches. Add a three inch crown, and that's not what I'm after. Maybe I should choose a different crown for the lowered cabinets?

What is the height difference between your staggered cabinets?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pence

6" is a good distance--if you only do 3", they tend to not look very staggered and any more than 6 could look goofy unless you have soemthing specific to display on top of the lowers that require it

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 5:15PM
lodalady

If my cabinets are 40" to the ceiling, would a 30" cabinet with a 3" molding be appropriate? If the cabinets are 33, add a 3" molding, that would leave 3" gap to the ceiling.

I'm thinking my last cabinets had a 9" difference. I'm so confused.

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 5:58PM
snowyshasta

We have 3 different heights in our kitchen - none of the cabinets actually go all the way to the ceiling, but the tallest has a 3" crown and the crown touches the ceiling, if that makes sense. Then we have some where the crown stops 4" below the ceiling (so the cabinets are also 4" shorter), and others that are 10" from the ceiling (so 6" down from the middle ones).

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 7:24PM
weedyacres

We did a 6" stagger because the cabinets came in 6" increments. Same crown on both. Here's what it looks like (photo from when it was not yet finished).

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 9:42PM
lodalady

weedy acres, how big is the crown in your beautiful kitchen?

snowyshasta, I'd love to see pictures if you have them.

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 10:04PM
snowyshasta

Here's a picture that shows some of the staggering in our kitchen:

The cabinet+crown in the center (over the ovens) goes all the way to the ceiling, as does the cabinet with just a tiny bit of crown visible on the right. The hood is the next step down that I mentioned; the crown ends about 4 inches from the ceiling. The rest of the cabinets step down once more from there, about another 6 inches.

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 1:31AM
2ajsmama

snowyshasta - where did you get that lovely blue tile?

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 9:30AM
jessie21

In our only one section of staggered cabs, top of crown to top of crown (same crown) is about 4 inches. Seems perfect to me. My center ones are larger, higher and with glass. Bordered by 2 smaller solid ones.

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 9:46AM
weedyacres

Sorry for the delayed response: our crown is about 3" tall.

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 7:34PM
snowyshasta

I'm even more delayed than weedy, sorry! The blue tile is from Pratt & Larsen, local to Portland, Oregon, but I think available elsewhere as well.

Bookmark   March 12, 2009 at 1:49AM
2ajsmama

I've got staggered cabinets too but same depth. 6" difference in height. I want to use the same crown but in order to get close to the hinge side of this corner door (the side with the big knot in it) I have to get the top flat front of the crown on the left side cabinets over the top of the door. Door is so close to the top of the cabinets, would it look strange to just bring the crown on the lower cabinets to the same height as the top of the upper cabinet frame? Same crown, but would have about 2" of valance or frieze showing under the crown on the corner cabinet, and more like 3" on top of the side cabinets. I already have 3" spacer on top of the fridge and if I want to bring that to ceiling like corner cabinet, it would need another 2".

Sorry for the hijack

Bookmark   March 12, 2009 at 9:24AM
granite-girl

Generally 6" difference in the stagger. Mainly because standard wall cabinets come in 6" increments. And I think that looks best even with crown. But you want to make sure all of your higher cbts are also deeper. (3" is enough ) Especially in the corner or you'll run into problem with door clearance as above picture shows.

Here is a link that might be useful: granite countertops

Bookmark   March 12, 2009 at 11:26AM
2ajsmama

granite-girl: I didn't have 3" more in width (fridge would have ended up overlapping door casing) that the 3" in depth comes with. What do you suggest for crown solution above?

Bookmark   March 12, 2009 at 12:58PM
More Discussions
How best to trick this space out as a pantry?
Hi all. I currently have a roomy walk-in pantry (4'...
jenmendel23
Silestone suede cemento for kitchen counters ?
I am considering this dark grey "cemento"...
jeannette10
Do I need an architect?
I have posted before about wanting to remodel my awful...
msmagoo
color of sink in a modern kitchen ?
I will have white cabinets and dark grey counter tops. what...
jeannette10
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™