DIY Upholstery - Goose Neck Arm Chair
I am finally finished with my diy upholstery of a goose neck arm chair. This originally was my grandparents chair and was given to me in 1987. At that time, I took it to an upholsterer to have the old fabric taken off & the navy fabric put on. I did not have the money to pay the extra it would have cost to have the springs retied & webbing replaced.
After 26 years, the old navy blue fabric didn't look too bad, but it was faded and I needed a change. The seat was getting uncomfortable & I knew that it had to be refreshed and strengthened. I hope this chair will stay in our family for many more years to come.
This was a real challenge because the webbing as well as the jute on the springs were falling apart. None of my prior upholstery projects needed webbing or spring tying. It took me a long time to learn how to re-do webbing and to tie springs. I had posted on this forum about my webbing & tying back in November. I studied books & videos. My favorite online videos were from DIY Upholstery and Kim's Upholstery (Massachusetts). Kim answered all of my emails when ever I had questions. She was very helpful and encouraging to me.
After an office chair, 3 sofas, 1 wing chair, and this arm chair, I can say I am glad to put my staple gun away and move on to other projects!
I hope some of you will give upholstery a try some day. I thought about it for years before I got the nerve to pull out that first staple on that first office chair. Many of you have posted your own experiences with upholstering pieces and that really inspired me to jump in!
Here she is before:
Removing old fabric:
New webbing & springs tied
New layers of cotton
A layer of Dacron
Deciding where to make my cuts (this was all the fabric I had left after finishing my wing chair)
Here she is after: