Suggestions relating to Reachin Closet Doors

revaselvaApril 7, 2014

Hi All,
I am moving into a 1960s ranch style home, which has a reachin closets in all 3 bedrooms. As part of remodel, our contractor had widened the opening of the master bedroom closet from standard 8ft wide to 106". Initially I was not interested in sliding doors for the closets, as that would prevent easy reach and direct view of all the stuff. But our contractor called up few doors company and confirmed that there are no bi-fold doors available for that width and the only option is to go with a sliding doors.
The dimensions of the closet are 106" (l)* 25"(w)*96"(h).
I wanted a mirrored door for the closets.
Kindly suggest, what all options do I have relating to closet doors. Also I am looking for suggestions relating to closet organizers for this closet. I do not like Elfa system since it is wired.
Greatly appreciate your inputs.

Thanks
Reva

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

You might want to post your question on the Home Repair forum for questions about doors.

If you had your heart set on bifold doors, you could make double bifold doors with each panel 26 inches wide. You might need commercial grade hardware for the additional weight of the doors.

You could do tri-sliding doors so that 2/3 of the closet could be exposed.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 8:09AM
gabbythecat

If you want mirrored doors, why don't you go to a glass company and get them made there? I'm pretty sure they would make them to the size you would need, although I don't know about the cost...

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 11:12AM
talley_sue_nyc

The link below takes you to a list of suppliers of closet organizers. (I thought Elfa had a non-wire solution, but I could be wrong.)

Big bummer about the bifold doors; too bad your contractor didn't find the doors first and size the closet afterward.
They sell bifold door hardware. Can you find someone to make a custom solution?
This company makes custom bifold doors; you might discuss w/ them whether it's possible.
http://www.sunmountaindoor.com/doors/browse/type/bifold-bipass-doors/

These guys make custom doors, plus they have 4-door sets for widths greater than 8 feet.
http://www.marwincompany.com/bi-fold-doors.php
8 door units: 6'0" to 12'0"

Here's hardware (they bill themselves as "replacement," but maybe they'll sell stuff for a new install):
http://www.reflectwindow.com/Sliding-Closet-Door-Hardware
Accordion & Tri-fold Folding Closet Door Hardware
Improve the stability and maneuverability of your accordion or tri-fold style closet doors using the proper tri-fold sliding closet door hardware parts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Better Homes & Gardens roundup of closet organizers

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 4:38PM
More Discussions
Anyone know of good boxes (plastic?) for storing papers?
I've been purging DD's school work and paper crafts...
quasifish
Organizing/de cluttering success (please share yours too!)
I cleaned out and organized the tool box! We live in...
sloedjinn
Where to donate a 15yo nebulizer
Years ago, when my now-17-y-o was a little one, he...
talley_sue_nyc
Can I get rid of my wedding gown?
Hi everyone. We went to spend the weekend with my parents...
tripletmom83
Get rid of cookbooks, and cook more?
About a year ago, I got rid of most of my cookbooks...
quasifish
Sponsored Products
VIGO 48-inch Frameless Shower Door 3/8" Frosted/Stainless Steel Hardware Left wi
Modern Bathroom
Bath Authority DreamLine Duet Sliding Shower Door (45"-48")
Modern Bathroom
RCS Grills Stainless Double Drawer & Door Combo
$669.00 | LuxeDecor
Foremost Shower Enclosures Cove 38 in. to 42 in. x 65 in. Frameless Sliding
Home Depot
Glossy White Shoe Rack with 4 Folding Double-Depth Doors
TheBathOutlet
American Drew Cherry Grove Corner China Cabinet - ADL4555
Hayneedle
22 Inch Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Homelegance Darien 3 Piece Platform Bedroom Set w/ Storage Footboard in Espresso
Beyond Stores
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™