Adding soil to foundation of house to improve grading/slope

mickimaxMay 4, 2006

My brick & limestone house was built in 1868. I don't have any problems with the basement or foundation, but I do have a lot of top soil left over from this spring's truckload that was delivered to me for my gardens. Can I add it to the foundation to increase/improve the grading for the foundation? One side of the house has a very slanted slope, so doesn't need any fill. The other side looks almost flat, like there isn't much of a slope from the foundation to the sidewalk. Would I be hurting anything if I added soil to the foundation on this side to have a more slanted pitch to the yard here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
housekeeping

Without seeing the situation, I would hesitate to recommend adding soil near a foundation wall. To increase slope I would try removing soil farther away from the foundation, and then grading from the point close the foundation to the (now) lower point, if that is possible.

Adding soil near the foundation will raise it closer to your floors and sill beams. Not a good idea. As long as it slopes away, even modestly, I wouldn't want to disturb the existing drainage patterns.

You can stock pile your top soil, by putting it in an out of the way spot and seeding it with a cover crop. Or even just rake a thin (1/2 inch) layer of it over your existing grass. It is endlessly useful stuff.

Molly~

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
dmatlosz
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
Scraping wallpaper from ceiling
I've been working hard on wallpaper removal in one...
arlosmom
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™