Material for porch brackets

jaz50yMay 30, 2012

I want to replace some of the porch brackets on my 125-year-old Victorian cottage. The existing ones are 3/4" material, tho I could go to 1" if I replaced all (which is an option). To get the width I needed at Lowe's or HD, I had to try a laminated, stain-grade pine, which I will seal, prime, and paint with Duration. But I am not convinced this stuff can last. Can anyone suggest other materials (hopefully readily available)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

How large are the brackets?

Without dimensions it is pretty hard to recommend material.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 9:39AM
jlc102482

I'm not sure what type of brackets you're looking for, but have you looked at the Vintage Woodworks site? I've been very happy with what I've ordered from them.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 10:40AM
danvirsse

I made some replacement brackets from Versatex cellular PVC. It can be sawed, routed etc with regular woodworking equipment (though carbide bits/blades hold up better). It is paintable any color, provided you request SW's "Vinyl Safe" formulation. I painted ours with Duration "Stamped Concrete" and they came out great.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 2:20PM
jaz50y

I can't order premade, because they have to be exactly the same, per landmark rules. I am experimenting with some scraps of Azek, which I understand is basically the same as Versatex, but the melting while cutting is a bit of a problem. Also the blizzard that results from routing, but I can just keep the vac running...

The brackets are 17.5" x 28".

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 3:34PM
More Discussions
1850s exterior door hardware?
I have an 1857 Italianate-ish home that is missing...
jlc102482
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
Oh crap, plaster crack
I was removing a window casing so I could reposition...
graywings123
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™