Half size cheesecake pan--anyone know how large?

lpinkmountainSeptember 15, 2012

BF loves cheesecake but neigher he nor I can eat that much of it so we can't eat a whole 10 inch size one fast enough. I'd like to make cheesecake a little more often so I'm wondering if I get a half size pan if I can just halve the recipes I find? Is a 5 inch diameter cheesecake pan big enough for a half recipe? Does it really matter? If I make it in a little larger pan, will it just be flatter? Could I possibly bake it in muffin tins? If so, what about how long to bake it? I love the idea of making some in muffin tins and then freezing for later.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

A 5" pan is only 25% of the area/volume of a 10" pan. A 10" pan has an area of 78.54, while that 5" pan is 19,63.

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 12:58PM
lpinkmountain

Yes, I knew the math didn't add up, that's why I was asking. I'm wondering if I can just use a pie tin or cake tin? I hate to go out and buy something if its not necessary.

I usually bake my cheesecake in a bain marie but I guess you don't absolutely have to, particularly if it is a small one, right?

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 1:16PM
triciae

Lpink,

Cheesecake freezes very well. Use your regular sized pan. Cut the cheesecake into slices. Place a small piece of parchment paper between the slices. Freeze. When you want a piece, remove a slice or two from freezer and allow to come to room temperature (the way cheesecake should always be eaten!). No need for more pans. I've always got 2-3 different types in the freezer because there's only two of us also.

/tricia

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 2:15PM
compumom

Another good idea is to make them in mini muffin cups. My mother used to do that with a vanilla wafer as the crust and pour the cheese mixture on top. For decoration she'd add a glazed cherry or berry mixture. They were very pretty and just about bite sized. This looks like the recipe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry Cheesecake Bites

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 2:23PM
lindac

I don't know what your cheesecake recipe is, but I can make a "small" cheesecake in a regular cake tin. It's not as tall as the 2 1/2 pounds of cream cheese cake I make in a 9 inch pan (I never use the 10 inch pan) but it's a cheese cake and tastes like one.
I have a nest of spring form pans...a 10 inch a 9 inch and an 8 inch....mostly I use the 8 inch pan....because it fits nicely on my favorite tall cake server. Also Cheese cake freezes very well....and a couple of slices of cheese cake in the freezer is like money in the bank.

Cheese cake in a cake pan....works best on a pan with a removable bottom.

Crust...I butter the pan very very well...soft butter spread on thickly. Then I place 1/4 cup of ground nuts...I like almonds or pecans, mixed with 1/4 tsp cinnamon....and sprinkle in the pan, tilting the pan so the nuts stick to the butter.

Cake
2 8 oz packages of cream cheese at room temp.
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsps flour
1 tsp vanilla

pour the cake into the "crust" and bake at 375 until the center jiggles only very slightly, about 45 to 50 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the door ajar and let it sit for 30 minutes. Cool before chilling.

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 3:05PM
More Discussions
Biscuit Experts
Can I substitute greek yogurt for buttermilk in a biscuit...
cactuscatie1
As Seen on Food Fortunes -- Can you measure flour?
Have you seen this show? Shark Tank for the comestibles...
plllog
More Sourdough Discard & Baker's Kaffeeklatsch
We left off at Troisième I haven't had time and...
plllog
Apologies to St. Patrick
Not even the corned beef was done the traditional way....
dcarch7
Please clarify this butter question......
Help! my brain isn't working on this one & I need...
amck2
Sponsored Products
Dover VX Hanging Outdoor Wall Sconce by Maxim Lighting
$188.00 | Lumens
Vista Black Crystal Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Take a Ride Art Print
$33.99 | Dot & Bo
Gourmet Chef 14-piece Stainless Steel Cookware Set
Overstock.com
Campania International Small Coral Cast Stone Planter - P-633-AL
$144.99 | Hayneedle