Cleaning out a hoard

mainecoonkittyApril 12, 2014

My mother-in-law passed away about a year ago and my husband and I were left to clean out her house, mainly because his sister is already on her way to being as bad a hoarder as her mother. MIL was pretty much a hermit and her only interest after her husband passed away several years ago was making beaded baskets that were popular back in the 70's and 80's. We found literally hundreds of them stuffed into plastic storage tubs in her basement. She must have spent thousands of dollars on beads and crafting supplies, but must have never given a single one away. We had no idea they were down there. I was in complete shock when we found them. Does anyone have any ideas about how we can get rid of these? I hate to just pitch them, but not even Goodwill is interested in 70's era kitsch in this volume.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
talley_sue_nyc

offer them to other beaders? They can take them apart, maybe?

Put up a sign at the local craft store, if they have a bulletin board.

(you mean like these?)
http://www.mymcpl.org/_uploaded_resources/imagecache/blog_wide_thumb/3-3-_Basketsrev.jpg

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 1:44PM
gabbythecat

Etsy?

If they are anything like the ones in the link above, I wouldn't be interested. But I've seen people selling interesting stuff there if the merchandise/crafts is marketed well.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 2:47PM
mainecoonkitty

The craft store - That's a great idea! Yeah...they are similar, but not made with safety pins. The beds are wired together.
There are literally hundreds of them - all different kinds and colors. It seems such a shame to just toss them. I thought about calling some nursing homes and asking them if they want the baskets. I thought about making them up with candy or little personal items and giving them to the residents.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 4:49PM
adellabedella_usa

I'd post an ad on Craigslist under "free". Put them out on the curb to first come, first serve.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 5:37PM
Circus Peanut

Local elementary school art teachers! They are constantly spending half of their own salaries on supplies, and it wouldn't hurt to check whether they could use these beads in some of their class projects.

Good luck - the hoards of the deceased can be a terrible burden to loved ones, glad you're bearing up well. :)

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 11:21AM
More Discussions
Can I get rid of my wedding gown?
Hi everyone. We went to spend the weekend with my parents...
tripletmom83
How do you let go of stuff that's worth money?
On the "share your success" thread, taft...
talley_sue_nyc
Useful article on closets from TOH
I'm impressed with this article from This Old House,...
violetwest
Are Lazy Susans useless or is it just me?
I'm in the process of revamping underutilized areas...
Mmmbeeer
Missing the Garden Web Already
I feel betrayed by the sale of the Garden Web to Houzz....
gardenwebcupofkindness
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™