Chiken Wings - how long to bake?

punamytsikeSeptember 14, 2008

I love Costco Tequila Lime Flavored wings but I thought I will try to reduce my food bill and make my own wings from now on. In addition to saving money (hopefully ;) ) I can try different sauces as well.

Now my confusion comes from seeing different baking requirements from low of 350d for 30min to high of 450d for 45min. Can you please tell me your experience, how long you cook your wings? Also any of your favorite wing recipes are very much appreciated as well.

Thanks

PS, I do not have a grill and do not want to mess with deep frying, so I really want to make them in the oven.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foodonastump

Wings are one of the very few things I deep fry, but if I were to bake them I would go for higher heat (425-450) and bake them until the skin looks how I want it. My guess would be in the ballpark of about 40 minutes. Pretty forgiving - if the skin looks good the meat should be fine, so I would not worry about overcooking.

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 12:53PM
jimster

I can't tell you a specific time and temp. I just "wing it".

I can tell you that the original Anchor Bar sauce was a 50/50 mix of Frank's Hot Sauce and butter or margarine. That's still my favorite.

Jim

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 12:56PM
triciae

I find that if I cook them at 425-450 degrees the skin gets crisp before the meat is as tender as we like. So, I roast the wings on a baking rack placed over a lipped sheet pan at 350 degrees for 40 minutes & then raise the heat to 450 minutes to crisp (takes anywhere from 10-15 minutes depending on how crowded I have the pan).

/tricia

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 12:58PM
foodonastump

Me too, Jim! Speaking of which, I just took a look at my bottle of Frank's which calls for baking for one hour at 425.

I am liking Tricia's suggestion.

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 1:18PM
velodoug

It's almost impossible to overcook chicken wings. Only thighs are more forgiving in my experience. Indoors or out, I bake wings on a hanging rack at 400º. 60 minutes for smallish wings. 75 minutes for larger ones.

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 1:57PM
lindac

I'm with those who cook them about an hour...and I di it at 350 for 30 minutes or so flip them, sauce them, jack up thet emp to 425...bake for 15 minutes flip ands auce again.
The only expection siw hen I use a honey based sauce and then I just sauce about 15 minutes before they are done.
As you can see by all the answers, it's not a demanding food! LOL! If they are brown enough, they are done!
And I don't do the "drumettes" bit, I just fold up the whole wing and bake.
Linda C

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 2:16PM
jimster

It's kind of funny that Buffalo, N.Y. has attained more fame for this snack, invented serendipitously in a neighborhood bar, than for anything else in it's history.

Seventy miles away, Rochester, N.Y. has its own style of wings using a sweet-sour-hot sauce. But Buffalo wings are more popular, even in Rochester.

Jim

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 5:47PM
punamytsike

Thank you so much for all your input. I will get some wings I try it out :)

Bookmark   September 15, 2008 at 5:07AM
stacy3

Hey punamytsike - here is a thread about baked wings that might have some good ideas for you too.

Stacy

Here is a link that might be useful: Baked Wings

Bookmark   September 16, 2008 at 11:42AM
bulldinkie

Same here deep frying & chicken wings go together like mashed taters and gravy.mmmIm hungry for wings now

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 8:22AM
mib7356_aol_com

i saw a recipe for wings i liked...it said bake at 325 degrees for 3 to 4 hours...is that too long?

Bookmark   December 20, 2010 at 7:20AM
laniermason32_Gmail_com

I eat them raw

Bookmark   February 2, 2011 at 5:52PM
More Discussions
Cookout for 150 people
I am having a cookout for my son's graduation, and...
Teffanie Hughett West
Biscuit Experts
Can I substitute greek yogurt for buttermilk in a biscuit...
cactuscatie1
white dishes that do not scratch or chip
Looking for durable white dishes
pianopiano
I'm a corned beef virgin
I was at Sam's club today and they had nice looking...
Holly- Kay
As Seen on Food Fortunes -- Can you measure flour?
Have you seen this show? Shark Tank for the comestibles...
plllog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™