Walls not vertical!

lazy_gardensMay 14, 2012

Not an optical illusion or a problem with the camera ... because of the way adobe walls are constructed, they have an obvious slant. The doors are typically installed to match the lean of the wall, using half-mortise hinges and rim-mount locks.

You can regard it as convenient - it gives you self-closing doors if the door is installed leaning inward. Or you can drive yourself nuts trying to make everything all square and vertical and gringo-style.

The doorway in the foreground has its own lean, but it's leaning away from the camera so it's not obvious.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

I would be concerned as your glasses are on the floor and the template seems to be missing or broken off.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 8:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

That can't explain the lean! I may have been out of focus, but the camera was doing fine.

This was taken during a project when the SO wanted a leaning door picture to show a co-worker. I missed the glasses when I tossed the rest of the stuff in the corner.

We'll be re-setting the doors old-style as we redo the floors. Some were re-mounted to be plumb when they shouldn't be.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
Oh crap, plaster crack
I was removing a window casing so I could reposition...
graywings123
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
dmatlosz
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
interesting plaster job - what to do to fix it?
I'm doing some work in my dining room that includes...
mccb1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™