Mixture of Siding (Wood and Vinyl)

jburr827May 17, 2011

Hey Everyone,

I am working on an old house. It is 2.5 stories with 3 dormers. The dormers are difficult to reach as the roof is steep and short - I am guessing I will need a lift to work on them from the outside. My question is in regards to the siding. Right now the house is sided with cedar lap siding with a 2.5 - 3 inch reveal. Most of the siding is in good shape. The dormers however need some work. Next year I would like to replace the cedar siding on the dormers with vinyl but leave the rest of the house in wood. I don't particularly care for vinyl, but no other material has a reveal this size and I woldn't have to paint that area (except for the window trim which I can do from the inside) which would be a big plus.

Has anyone done anything like this? Part of the house in wood and a non-adjacent area in matched vinyl? Am I out of my mind here? Will this look bad in 5 to 10 years? I am just trying to set myself for less maintenance with the dormers due to their inaccessibility.

Thanks,

John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
columbusguy1

A pic would be nice to compare with my house--it has three dormers in a hipped roof, but the sides of them are finished in the roofing material, not sided since the sides are smallish triangular areas. The only clapboards on mine are between the corner boards and the window trim--about six inches long, and easily reached from the windows.

Personally, I would stay away from siding, with good prep, you won't need to redo those areas for a long time.

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 3:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
civ_IV_fan

the dormer siding is visually separated from the rest of the siding so that will help some, but it will not look as good as all wood, period. but i can understand wanting to make that tradeoff. i think we all make tradeoffs because our time is not unlimited. my advice would be to look for something like hardy plank - it is a much closer imitation of the real thing and you are dealing with a relatively small quantity.

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 8:29AM
More Discussions
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
Oh crap, plaster crack
I was removing a window casing so I could reposition...
graywings123
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™