cracks in brick face

arnold4321May 21, 2011

I live in a brick rowhouse built in 1900. Most of the bricks have little hairline cracks running through the face of the bricks.

Here are some pictures showing the cracks:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanwalker/sets/72157626646680735/

Should I be concerned or is this normal? I have lived in the house 1 1/2 years and the cracks haven't visibly changed in that time.

My inspection report from the time of the sale makes no mention of the bricks. It only mentions that the mortar is eroded in places. Obviously I have to deal with the eroding mortar, but what about the bricks themselves?

My neighbors on one side seem to have similar cracks in many of their bricks. My neighbors on the other side painted their bricks so it's hard to tell if they have cracks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renovator8

link below

The important cracks would be in a straight or zig zag diagonal line in joints and/or bricks across multiple bricks especially near window openings and building corners.

You should repoint the broken brick joints and make sure the weep holes are open at the bottom of the wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 3:23PM
arnold4321

Renovator8, the link you posted is a link to my pictures. Did you mean to link to something else?

There are no weep holes that I can see. Should all brick walls have weep holes?

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 9:16AM
renovator8

A link is something you can click on screen to take you to a website. What you provided is only the address/URL which someone would have to copy and paste to see the site so I provided a link.

Unless a brick wall is solid without a cavity for drainage it must have weeps or water will become trapped inside the wall. In a cold climate that can cause the brick to spawl and crack.

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 7:48PM
arnold4321

thanks

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 4:33PM
More Discussions
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
Anyone know what this is?????
Does anyone on the forum know what this is? Found it...
John0087
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
Civil War Markers
We know that the house we purchased was built before...
barbcollins
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™