Spanish Cedar Custom Windows

bobbie46May 5, 2011

We must order new windows for our 1937 colonial house for a south facing wall which is 22.5' across with a 10' ceiling. There will also be a door at the side of the windows. All the other windows in our house are wood. I can have single pane windows custom made in the old style (40"x8') double hung in Spanish cedar or I could order a manufactured (Marvin, for example) window. The Spanish cedar windows can be ordered with insulated., low e glass but that is about $500 more per window and they are not as attractive as single pane glass. When I drove around and look at new construction, most windows had a glare and a harsh reflective quality. I think this is due to low-e coating. It would be nice to have a non-drafty, sun defying window but I don't know if it could blend well with our other windows. I do not have to use energy efficient windows according to code since I am remodeling but I would like to be more energy efficient if possible. We live in Louisiana where summers are HOT. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
old_house_j_i_m

check out interior storms windows. that may be a good solution for you

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 10:09PM
bobbie46

Thank you for the suggestion. I will look in to that possibility.

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 10:01AM
sombreuil_mongrel

Spanish Cedar is a very good exterior wood. The only issue I would bring up is how shall it be weatherstripped?
Another question is what will keep them open? You can't buy new sash weights very easily, and they are sort of hard to insulate around. You could use Caldwell or Pullman tape balances, a kind of spring device that takes the place of the rope/pulley system.
There are a lot of weatherstripping approaches, but they need to coordinate with the balance system to be efficient.
The link is to the longest-lived weathertipping system for wooden sash windows.
Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Highest quality integral metal weatherstripping

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 10:15AM
More Discussions
Oh crap, plaster crack
I was removing a window casing so I could reposition...
graywings123
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
1850s exterior door hardware?
I have an 1857 Italianate-ish home that is missing...
jlc102482
Scraping wallpaper from ceiling
I've been working hard on wallpaper removal in one...
arlosmom
Civil War Markers
We know that the house we purchased was built before...
barbcollins
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™