I can't find a double basin high back porcelain sink

jlc102482May 14, 2013

I have been searching for an antique double basin high back (i.e. wall mount faucet) porcelain sink without drainboards for about two years without success. I'm so desperate that I have decided to try and find a new one/reproduction, but I am having trouble finding one of those, too! In your old house parts travels, does anyone remember seeing any either in stores or on websites? Any and all potential sources, new and antique, are welcome. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rwiegand

You might call these folks

Here is a link that might be useful: antique plumbing

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 1:10PM
weedyacres

You're right: they've all got drainboards!

Try this one:

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay posting

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 2:17PM
columbusguy1

Here is one:

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Sink

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 8:24PM
vjrnts

Historic Houseparts in Rochester NY has zillions of old and repro kitchen sinks. I don't see the one you want on their web page, but it might be worth a call.

Here is a link that might be useful: Historic Houseparts

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 7:58AM
jlc102482

Weedy found it! Unfortunately it's $1,200, way over my budget. Sure is pretty, though. I have been periodically checking in with Historic Houseparts for a couple years now, lol. No dice yet, but I am not giving up. Thanks, all!

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 10:26AM
Circus Peanut

What's your general location? This Old Tub & Sink in Boston has a few:

Here is a link that might be useful: This Old Tub and Sink

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 5:57PM
weedyacres

Hey, make them an offer of what you can afford. You never know, and if you don't ask, you don't get.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 7:19PM
calliope

I've lived in many old houses, most of which had their original fixtures and I suspect you're having troubles finding an 'antique' double sink because I've never seen a truly old kitchen sink with two bowls. I guess the term old is relative, but if you look at the faucet holes on the sinks above, you'll see they're meant for relatively newer fixtures. Granted, I spent a good deal of my adolescence out of the country, but even in Europe where we had ancient plumbing fixtures in our house..........the sink was porcelain and had no drain, a high back and just one bowl. I honestly never saw a double bowl kitchen sink until I was in college.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 6:59PM
jlc102482

calliope, that makes a lot of sense! Now I'm thinking that I'll just have to make do with a single basin sink. The only reason I wanted double is because I like to use one side for washing dishes and the other side for stowing the dish drainer to keep it out of my way and out of sight. Not a huge deal. I'd rather compromise and get an appropriate sink, I think.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 10:07AM
arlosmom

Are you anywhere near Boston? Old House Parts has exactly what you're looking for. Scroll down to #21 in the linked site.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 basin high backed sink

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 3:20PM
calliope

You will find 'laundry sinks', really old ones with two bowls, and also industrial or commercial sinks of your home's vintage with perhaps two bowls. Nobody says you are obliged to use an authentic for age plumbing fixture or appliance, I live in a 200 year old house and don't use my fireplace to cook. ;-) I have two sinks in this house. One a modern ONE BOWL stainless steel one with new, but old-looking faucet assembly and I also have a deep, one bowl utility sink under the window for working up garden produce and a pitcher pump under it hooked up to our spring. It has come in very handy when we have power outages and yes, I installed it.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 4:52PM
Why_not_me

Do you have to have the wall-mounted faucets?

This seller has a few of these sinks for sale, pulled from an old hospital, iirc, and I bought one to use in our kitchen. It's a great size, vgc, really solid, and not too deep: many of the early sinks were meant for scrubbing clothes, and are uncomfortably deep for modern kitchen use.

Price is a bit better than you've been encountering, too, I suspect.

Here is a link that might be useful: HD porcelain double sink.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 11:03AM
nabq

Don't know if you're still looking, but you might try eBay and Etsy. Here's one I found in a 1 minute search. I'm sure there are more. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Porcelain-Cast-Iron-Sink-Double-Original-To-1920-Co-op-NY-/331024843469 . And I agree with Weedyacres. Make an offer at whatever you can afford. You'll be surprised at how many sellers on sites like this will accept. Just make sure you ask them to relist or ammend formally, so you get whatever buyer protection the site offers.

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 1:18PM
imaninny

hi i have a old sink, i been doin my research , just curious how much u all think its worth, ive asked others , i just wanna research is all lol here is a picture

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 3:12PM
More Discussions
Anyone know what this is?????
Does anyone on the forum know what this is? Found it...
John0087
1850s exterior door hardware?
I have an 1857 Italianate-ish home that is missing...
jlc102482
Oh crap, plaster crack
I was removing a window casing so I could reposition...
graywings123
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™