Help.. Selecting type of paint .. X post

missouri1May 5, 2009

I have a house sided in asbestos shingles. I need to temporarily paint over tagging on my house and then I want to paint the entire house next year. We'll be using white to cover the grafitti and likely painting the base a red with cream trim next year.

I want to make sure to use something that when I paint again it will adhere to nicely and cover and stay on well with minimal fading.

Any suggestions what type of paint to use? I was thinking oil but don't know how that is with dry time and moisture and humidity. The house is in Missouri.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mightyanvil

tagging? unfinished or finished asbestos shingles? white over graffit? Red over white?

Any red will fade. White will not cover well unless the graffiti is white. Red will not cover well over white. Alkyd (synthetic oil-modified, solvent-based) paint is always a risk over any unknown finish because it is not as flexible as latex/acrylic water-based paints. Paint adhesion is greatly dependent on surface preparation and preparing asbestos could be a problem. Why is drying time an issue?

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 3:02PM
peanutmom

Before you paint, I hope you have considered the condition of your shingles. As stated by mightyanvil, preparing asbestos is risky at best. Make sure you have adequate breathing protection. Use a pressure washer to remove loose paint instead of sanding. Replace any loose or damaged shingles with a composite replacement. And primer will cover the graffiti and seal the shingles for any painting you will be doing in the future.

I am a huge fan of Sherwin-Williams. I have used their paint in home and industrial settings. They also give great advice on color matching and what colors will fade and how long that will take. You will find out that most high grade exterior paints will have a uv filter built into them to prevent fading.

Please check out this link I have included. It is one of my favorite how-to sights.

Here is a link that might be useful: asbestos paint and prep/ ehow

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 10:02AM
concretenprimroses

Our oil based paint that we painted some of our trim with many years ago peeled off cuz it wasn't flexible enought to with stand our weather changes. Oil paint is no longer the premium for house exteriors. We are using Sherwin Williams Duration Exterior latex now. Some of the front porch has had just one coat on top of the scraped but not completely gone oil paint and it looks brand new after 3 winters. We've been very happy with this paint. I'm told it breathes. It doesn't need a primer which is nice. Not sure how it would be on your kind of siding, but they will tell youat the SW store. Dh is also slowly painting the aluminum siding which has faded (same color as it was originally, thats why its not a rush/priority). That has been through one winter and is perfect. The Duration paint is very expensive, $44/gal. We watch for sales and stock up. Also once we bought 20 gallons at a time and got a free ladder, one of those multi level as seen on tv types. (Btw, that little woman they showed carrying the ladder in the ads must be a prof weight lifter, I can hardly carry the thing.)
good luck
kathy

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 11:36PM
More Discussions
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
Unique Craftsman trim & wainscotting Examples, Info, Opinions
I am looking for examples of unique craftsman and/or...
Corbin Dodge
Adding a full bath to an old house.
Hello, first post in this forum. I am relocating and...
lucy132
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
adamsmile
Color advice for new front door
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
Sponsored Products
Modern Block Rug 9'6" x 13'6" - DRKGRY ON LTGRY
$2,199.00 | Horchow
Area Rug: Khazana Ascot Nutmeg 8' x 11'
Home Depot
AHB 34 in. Palermo Swivel Bar Stool - Pepper with Tobacco Leather - 134915PP
$279.95 | Hayneedle
Fiery Fleur-de-lis Sculptural Firebowl
FRONTGATE
MOTI Furniture - Historic Eight Glass Door Buffet - 44009016
Great Furniture Deal