a shower organizer/caddy that will fit in a 9-foot ceiling?

talley_sue_nycMarch 23, 2005

We have a tall shower in one bathroom, and I'd love to put one of the tension poles w/ baskets in it.

But I can't find one that will extend beyond 8 feet (OK, 8'1", but that doesn't help!)

Until I found this one, in the link. Wow, I thought--it looks sturdy, really well made! And it's big enough, I'll pay a little extra.

THEN.....I looked at the price.

(and did you check out the expensive finish? I showed it to DH, he nearly fell over. Though it ain't much more expensive than the stainless)

Anybody seen any OTHER shower caddies w/ tension poles that will extend beyond 8 feet?

Here is a link that might be useful: Frontgate's Shower Butler

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
talley_sue_nyc

Or, hey, I thought--how about a freestanding set of shelves? This looked great, too.

It's half again as much--but catch the NON-sale price--$475.

So, anybody got any suggestions for a sanely priced something like this?

Or any other solutions (other than suction cups, which I've considered and haven't completely ruled out) for my tall stall shower?

Here is a link that might be useful: freestanding shower caddy from Frontgate

Bookmark   March 23, 2005 at 9:05PM
joann23456

Both look fine. I'd have a preference for the first because it looks easier to clean around. With the other, you'd have to pick it up, I think.

I've got the ones below - one for each person. They really help corral all the stuff that can make

Here is a link that might be useful: shower baskets

Bookmark   March 23, 2005 at 11:35PM
talley_sue_nyc

w/ the second, I'm sure the kids would just knock it over all the time. And, the floor isn't quite level, of course, in order to drain; being a small shower, it's a noticeable slope. I'm afraid it would fall over.

I've seen the screw-on baskets; I really want to avoid holes in the wall. I live in an apt. building, and just don't want to pay for the water damage to everybody below me should water get in there somehow.

I really do like the first one--but that $175 price tag is just WAY too much. The cheap ones cost $20, so how come a really good one costs TEN TIMES MORE? Triple, quadruple, five times more, I'd spring for. But ten times?

Bookmark   March 24, 2005 at 11:03AM
joann23456

Tally Sue, you're so right. I remodeled my bathroom a year ago, and still have lots of sources for bath stuff left on my computer. I just checked through quite a few of them, and found only inexpensive, probably flimsy, ones. Have you checked a bath store, or maybe someplace like Expo? It seems there should be something in the middle.

Bookmark   March 24, 2005 at 12:28PM
gina_in_fl

How about finding one that is good, even though short, and then getting a block of wood (maybe even decorative, like a furniture leg or something) to attach to the top wall/ceiling to compensate for the height difference.

Bookmark   April 4, 2005 at 4:45PM
talley_sue_nyc

because that's work, which means it'll never get done.

Not a bad idea, thought I think it would look sort of funny up there--and I'm not sure how to attach a thick block (bcs it'd need to be like 8 to 12 inches long) that won't wobble.

Bookmark   April 5, 2005 at 1:59PM
talley_sue_nyc

well, I gave up (even though we measured, and maybe we could have used those plastic "cones" for raising your bed up to create under-bed storage, putting one at the top and one at the bottom)

Why? Because I found, at BedBath&Beyond, a plastic basket w/ suction-lock suction cups to attach in the corner (which I believe is stronger than attaching to a single surface).

And a similar hook, for holding the scrubbie. I have a soap dish already I can put up, though I might not keep it because it doesn't drain.

Bookmark   April 27, 2005 at 11:07PM
More Discussions
Anyone know of good boxes (plastic?) for storing papers?
I've been purging DD's school work and paper crafts...
quasifish
Best Closet Organizer to install yourself
Which closet organizer is your favorite. We will install...
mitzibarnes
under sink organization (kitchen)
Had to share this photo. It is perfect use of the dead...
mvastian
Organizing/de cluttering success (please share yours too!)
I cleaned out and organized the tool box! We live in...
sloedjinn
New cubicle. Organization and decorating help
Recently started a new job and now have a cubicle....
kaitie09
Sponsored Products
Progress Lighting 5 In. White Drop Opal Shower Trim P8109-28
$20.61 | Home Depot
Telephone Hand Shower with Luxury Slide Bar
Signature Hardware
Halo Recessed Lighting 5 in. Aluminum Recessed Lighting New Construction IC
$9.55 | Home Depot
White Lace Ruffle 'Stars and Garters' Organic Dish Towel
$22.99 | zulily
Polished Chrome Whitehaus WHSM01-8 Round Bathroom Lavatory Rain Shower Head
$199.00 | Blue Bath