Introduction and our old house

natemartinsfMay 11, 2013

My wife and I are in the process of closing on a nice old 1915 California Bungalow in Alameda!

I'm sure I'll be asking many questions here, so I thought I would introduce myself and our new house.

The house has been in the same family since it was built. We love old houses, so we're looking forward to maintaining the character that's already present, and restoring what's been changed. We'll of course make some sacrifices to modern convenience, but the goal will to make everything fit in and be appropriate.

We're working with a local contractor who has been highly recommended to us, and specializes in old homes in the area, and is always favoring restoring instead of replacing.

We're really looking forward to making the house beautiful, and finally living in a house we own.

Apparently the house was built by George Noble, who built many bungalows throughout Alameda.

I put some pictures up, see attached link

(Yes, we are planning on removing the brick they put up sometime in the 60s)

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions soon!

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Rolling down

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 1:14PM
calliope

Welcome and congratulations. You have every reason to be excited, it's a lovely bungalow with lots of nice, solid details still intact. Will look forward to what you do with this.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 5:45PM
kellienoelle

Am I wrong for kind of loving that green wallpaper?

Charming bungalow that you have!

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 9:55PM
natemartinsf

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

We're excited to start working on it. The wallpaper is... a bit much in person! Not shown is that it's even on the back of the door.

Would you think that would have been there in 1915, or likely added later?

It does have a certain charm though, so we're considering leaving it on at least one wall.

We are going to refinish the wood floor in that room. We think it was immediately covered with rugs and carpet, and was never actually walked on much. It should look nice after the glue comes off from some sanding.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 3:38AM
civ_IV_fan

that green wallpaper is pretty awesome.

i can't imagine it would look that clean if it is original.

you've got some great built-ins, great original windows, good floors. that house has a lot going for it.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 8:04AM
artemis78

Congrats! We are just across the estuary from you and also have a 1915 bungalow (with what looks to be an almost identical kitchen space). They are so much fun! If you haven't already discovered them, Jane Powell's bungalow books are a nice resource, too. (She was an Oaklander, so the books often featured local bungalows.) Builders Booksource in Berkeley has a wonderful collection of restoration books on California bungalows.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 1:21AM
natemartinsf

Thanks! I just bought a bunch of Jane Powell's books, thanks for the recommendation. Do you have any pictures of your bungalow anywhere?

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 1:28AM
VictoriaElizabeth

Congrats! We're in a Victorian, but I say our next house will be a bungalow! So charming... good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Victorian house.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
interesting plaster job - what to do to fix it?
I'm doing some work in my dining room that includes...
mccb1
Foundation problem?
Hi all, this is a 1950s cape and every winter when...
kevingalaxy
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™