Wallpaper Repair

eddieg_2008May 11, 2008

I have a small section of a wall where a piece of wallpaper was torn off by a child. If we still had the piece, I would try to patch it back in, but we don't. In the same room, there are areas covered by the same wallpaper which are out of view. Is there a way to cut out a piece and transplant it to the area which is visible? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theporchguy

eddieg 2008,

Yes you can do it. Be careful to match the piece you need when you find out where your taking it from. Oversize the piece.
Using a level and a pencil, mark the area you are going to remove. Score the outline with a wallpaper razor knife gently. Sanitest comes off real easy, paper is harder.
Using warm water with a sponge and 1" scraper start wetting the area your removing. Apply and apply and each time start working the knife under the paper. After a while, you will eventually remove the piece you want.

You can either just paste it over the area thats missing, a fair job. Or you can wallpaper razor knife through both pieces of wallpaper and remove the new piece and then carefully remove the edging remaining. Now paste the new piece right in place.
Whalla! Done.

Patience helps. Let the warm water have time to work its' way into the paper.

Good Luck,

All the best,

The PorchGuy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

Bookmark   May 11, 2008 at 7:10PM
More Discussions
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
Foundation problem?
Hi all, this is a 1950s cape and every winter when...
kevingalaxy
Oh crap, plaster crack
I was removing a window casing so I could reposition...
graywings123
Ceiling after dormer
Riddle me this. I am living in a 1910 1 3/4 story bungalow with...
fredsoldhouse
Stripper for stripper-resistant paint?
I'm having a tough time removing multiple layers of...
dilettante_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™