Wallpaper Repair

eddieg_2008May 11, 2008

I have a small section of a wall where a piece of wallpaper was torn off by a child. If we still had the piece, I would try to patch it back in, but we don't. In the same room, there are areas covered by the same wallpaper which are out of view. Is there a way to cut out a piece and transplant it to the area which is visible? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

eddieg 2008,

Yes you can do it. Be careful to match the piece you need when you find out where your taking it from. Oversize the piece.
Using a level and a pencil, mark the area you are going to remove. Score the outline with a wallpaper razor knife gently. Sanitest comes off real easy, paper is harder.
Using warm water with a sponge and 1" scraper start wetting the area your removing. Apply and apply and each time start working the knife under the paper. After a while, you will eventually remove the piece you want.

You can either just paste it over the area thats missing, a fair job. Or you can wallpaper razor knife through both pieces of wallpaper and remove the new piece and then carefully remove the edging remaining. Now paste the new piece right in place.
Whalla! Done.

Patience helps. Let the warm water have time to work its' way into the paper.

Good Luck,

All the best,

The PorchGuy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

    Bookmark   May 11, 2008 at 7:10PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Should we try to reuse old windows?
I am not sure how old the windows in our second floor...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
interesting plaster job - what to do to fix it?
I'm doing some work in my dining room that includes...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™