Argh! A whole bunch of my tools aren't ferrous enough!

talley_sue_nycMarch 25, 2012

I installed magnetic tool-holder strips at the pointy ends of my triangular closer, where the shelves are 1" deep or non-existent. I figured that would be a great place to store all the tools, and then I could simply eliminate the drawer that was holding them.

It's not quite working out the way I'd planned.

But when I went to load them, I discovered that some of my most important tools won't cling! They're not ferrous enough to stick to the magnet.

-the utility knife

-the 4-in-1 screwdriver (the shaft is some other sort of metal--the bits stick, but that's not enough)

-the metal-cased tape measure (but fort. the clip is ferrous, so that will stick)

Fortunately, I had a suction-cup basket hanging around, so I took off the suction cups and put double-stick foam on the back, and stuck THAT to the wall to hold them.

Every now and then I sort of wish I'd put a piece of sheet metal on the back wall, so I could stick stuff anywhere I wanted to with magnets. Sort of like pegboard.

Come to think of it, I can probably hot-glue or caulk magnets to the wall if I really wanted to.

Oh, and the electric screwdriver: Since IT's not magnetic, I'm going to get a piece of PVC pipe big enough for it to fit in, then I'l cut off a short length and hot-glue it to the wall so the screwdriver will stand up in it.

And I discovered the handle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cocontom

Save yourself some time and frustration- get a clear over the door shoe organizer and screw it into the wall. We don't have a junk drawer anymore, we have a junk-back-of-the-door. We don't keep the drill in it, but I think it would hold one.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 4:45PM
talley_sue_nyc

I'm not screwing something into the back of my closet door--even though it is inside the closet, it's mahogany veneer and it's beautiful, and I'm not screwing something into it.

I also don't like the shoe pockets for these sorts of tools--the shoe pockets are way too big for the tools.

And I don't have a wall to screw it into.

I figure I've done pretty wall as it is.

I just wanted to share the frustration that so many of these metal tools aren't a *ferrous* metal, and they won't stick to a magnet.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 8:51PM
talley_sue_nyc

"I figure I've done pretty WELL as it is."

I've used the utility knife twice, and it was easy-peasy to get it from its new storage spot, and put it back.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 8:58PM
lazy_gardens

Tally sue ... consider hot-gluing a chunk of steel to the tool, or even a strong magnet.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 8:51PM
talley_sue_nyc

lazygardens, I thought about that! I even said, "they should make little stick-on steel plates for this sort of thing."

But it's turning out that I sort of like the basket--it tucks over into this space that's just slightly behind the molding, where I wouldn't be able to attach anything with a screw.

And there are a couple of other things that need a similarly shaped home. So that's useful as well.

Oh--one funny thing. I had the bits for the electric screwdriver in a plastic container (Mentos gum), and I found that the BITS are ferrous enough to hold to the magnet even through the plastic! So that's how you can get plastic to stick to a magnet.

(I switched them to a different, small Altoids, container, but I'm waiting to see if that form factor is OK.)

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 8:02AM
karinl

I think someone was quite rude in this thread. Unnecessarily.

Karin L

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 7:54PM
More Discussions
Are Lazy Susans useless or is it just me?
I'm in the process of revamping underutilized areas...
Mmmbeeer
What to do with hundreds of CDs
I have nice storage boxes filled with hundreds of CDs...
Janeway452
Why I look in the box before tossing
One of the boxes I recently sorted through was marked...
talley_sue_nyc
Missing the Garden Web Already
I feel betrayed by the sale of the Garden Web to Houzz....
gardenwebcupofkindness
under sink organization (kitchen)
Had to share this photo. It is perfect use of the dead...
mvastian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™