Help! Made a mistake in kitchen remodel

mbarstowApril 11, 2009

We are into week 8 of our complete kitchen remodel. All base cabinets are permanently in place and a template was made two days ago for the granite counters. All wood trim around the doors, windows and baseboards have been removed to be replaced with new trim. The PROBLEM: We just realized at the place where a base cabinet meets with the door to our dining room there isn't the standard amount of space for the same trim that will be used around the other doors. There is only 1.5'', and we need 3.5''. We have no idea how this miscalculation happened. We measured and measured and even our rep who planned the cabinet placement measured twice. Any suggestions on what we should do now?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

I can imagine how frustrating this must be, and at week 8 in the turmoil that a kitchen renovation creates, you must be ready to pull someone's hair out.

The simple solution is to notch 2 inches off the trim on the lower part of the door frame. It will be obvious to you - especially at first - but it is below your line of sight when passing from one room to another. How much contrast is there between the trim and the cabinets?

Bookmark   April 12, 2009 at 7:26AM
mbarstow

Thanks, graywings, for the suggestion. The trim will be stained exactly like the cherry cabinets.

Bookmark   April 12, 2009 at 11:04AM
antiquesilver

I agree with graywings, except I would have the area around the countertop scribed to fit.

Bookmark   April 12, 2009 at 8:23PM
More Discussions
Anyone know what this is?????
Does anyone on the forum know what this is? Found it...
John0087
Scraping wallpaper from ceiling
I've been working hard on wallpaper removal in one...
arlosmom
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™