Termite Damage...

61tinkerbellApril 2, 2011

The house we are under contract, has a 20 day "Due Diligence", so we have been able to get inspections, contractors and what-not to examine the house. We can walk away anytime, or re-negotiate the price (which we intend to do.

About this house, it's located in FL, built in the 1920-1930 time frame, and is a wood frame constructed house (which they hardly build around here now) T

The home inspection revealed a long list of issues, but did say that the floor joist were in real nice shape. We need Electrical fixed, plumbing, new roof, new septic, windows addressed and a bunch of other stuff, like wood rot, non working items, etc..

The Pest inspection revealed past termite damage, but didn't see active damage. He pointed out areas of damage, but now I'm thinking.. is there more hidden and are we opening up a big can of worms!? I feel okay going into the major list above, because they are known issues, but what if the repair the roof and termites have ate it away!

I would imagine that Florida wood homes must all be a termite target, but would you buy a house that had past termite damage?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kris00

Yes, but it depends on the extent of the previous damage. I've bought two houses with past termite problems, but they were long taken care of. As long as there is no current activity and no foundation or structural problems, it doesn't worry me at all. Do you know if the house is currently bonded with termite protection? If not, you can always activate a new service when you take ownership of the house. Good luck.

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 9:04PM
worthy

Acting for a private lender, when I inspect a home in a termite area I require an inspection by a licenced exterminator. Here, they often do it for free, expecting that if it's positive they will get the job.

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 9:18PM
61tinkerbell

The pest inspector did it for free, and the owner claims to have a termite contract, so that sounds promising. If the sale goes through, we will tent the house, as that should take care of things for a long while .. including the awful cockroaches!

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 9:21PM
More Discussions
Adding a full bath to an old house.
Hello, first post in this forum. I am relocating and...
lucy132
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
Claw foot tub...best?
I also posted this in the bathroom forum, but though...
monica_thompson
Color advice for new front door
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
This old house plus church!!
Well I need someone to talk with about my latest plunge....
Jason J
Sponsored Products
Aspects Farm and Home 1-light Silver vaportite light with wire guard VP141-6
$18.97 | Home Depot
Hemmingway LED Picture Light 24 Inch Hardwired by WAC Lighting
$339.50 | Lumens
Safavieh Floral Indoor/Outdoor Courtyard Navy/Beige Rug (4' x 5'7)
Overstock.com
HealthGuard Bed Protector Ultra Plush Jumbo-size Pillow Protectors (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Glue Guns: Roberts Adhesives & Fillers 120-Volt Hot Melt Glue Gun 10-700
$25.97 | Home Depot
Clear Jumbo Blanket Bag
$5.99 | zulily
Serena & Lily Santa Monica Chevron Pendant
Serena & Lily
Rope Design Shower Curtain Tension Rod and Hook Set
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™