Big progress (pix) and a small lesson

alisandeMarch 23, 2006

Living room furniture was delivered this week! My old furniture left about two years ago, and the room filled up with boxes of stuff as other rooms were remodeled. It took me a very long time to get the living room to the point where it could be furnished again, so the arrival of the sofa, loveseat, and chair was a major event. (Of course, no one was happier than my dogs...)

The small lesson is that I was going to post here last week about finally "getting it." I felt I had at last grasped the concept of a place for everything and everything in its place. I had cleaned off the dining table and butcher block (kitchen island) and kept them clean for many days. I did this by religiously pouncing on anything that happened to land on them. Well, you can guess what happened next...

I got a little lax, and one item turned into seven or eight in the blink of an eye. I have to start all over again. I haven't quite "gotten it" after all. Not yet. But I'm working on it.

Here are the pictures. I'm not crazy about the pillows (too big, for one thing), but that can be fixed. Note refinished floor! Note painted bookshelves, formerly a startling blue! Do not note that I need to paint the windows, hang curtains, and put down the rug. Like I said, I'm working on it. :-)

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

I love the furniture - I know it's new but it looks like it's been there for a while, just comfy and saying "sit down and read a book or several".

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 2:00PM
pegtn

I love your floor, its beautiful!!

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 4:06PM
artmom

Makes me want to curl up. Love it!!!

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 8:13PM
teacats

Very very nice choices -- classic, comfy and charming!! Love the floors -- and the re-painted bookcases -- both projects are a great foundation for so many decorating ideas and projects!!!! Well done!!!

And your "lesson" about "everything in its place" --- is an excellent point ---- and you truly have "got it" as you recognize how easily things/clutter can simply grow out of control!!! And you have pounced and re-gained ground!!!

Again ----- Well Done!!!! :)

Bookmark   March 24, 2006 at 11:54AM
jamie_mt

Beautiful, Susan, and congrats!! Much progress from when you started this whole project!

And I love that green chair - I have one exactly like it...very comfy! ;-)

Jamie

Bookmark   March 31, 2006 at 1:24PM
macbirch

Congratulations! (I'm still working on reclaiming my dining table, and quite a few other things. The battle between "a place for everything" and "any horizontal surface will do" goes on.) Well done.

Bookmark   March 31, 2006 at 10:21PM
Julie_MI_Z5

A beautiful room! My next thought was, Where are the rest of the pictures, from every angle!

P.S. My problem has been given a name: I'm back to "any horizontal surface will do" LOL.

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 5:52AM
More Discussions
Designing a home office! What would you include?
We are gutting our home office .... creating a his...
Becky Berend
Anyone know of good boxes (plastic?) for storing papers?
I've been purging DD's school work and paper crafts...
quasifish
Large closet advice
I'm turning a spare bedroom into a dressing room and...
helsharmar
Are Lazy Susans useless or is it just me?
I'm in the process of revamping underutilized areas...
Mmmbeeer
I am donating like a madwoman!
In 2006, we put our home on the market, and to get...
talley_sue_nyc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™