What are these walls made of?

autumpnereynApril 29, 2014

Hi all,

This house was built in the 1920's and has lots of character. One of my favorite features is the texture of these interior walls. As I look into sprucing the place up a bit, I really want to maintain this old world feel. When drilled into, it flakes apart easily and is kind of powdery. Does anyone know what this stuff is?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Beaver Board or Building Board was all I remember it being called, 60's or 70's and pretty sure has not been made in many years.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 8:27PM
worthy

We used to call it "stucco board" not to be confused with today's stucco board, made from cement. It was used for exterior renos to mimick stucco, but without its durability.

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 11:48AM
charismagenta64

I think it is a plaster It can be applied over concrete or cinder block, brick, stone or wood. It creates a durable, hard surface that conforms to flat or curved walls and ceilings. Plaster can last for hundreds of years, but has one major enemy that will cause plaster walls to become powdery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern House Plans

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 2:40AM
rmsmi

It looks like beaverboard or blackboard--a fiberboard of wood bits and other scraps. Non hazardous I believe.

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 9:29AM
renovator8

It is impossible to be sure if this is a poorly textured wall finish or paint on a wood fiber board as others have suggested.

You need to do more work to find out if the material is worth saving. I would cover it with 3/8" GWB.

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
Adding a full bath to an old house.
Hello, first post in this forum. I am relocating and...
lucy132
New windows in kitchen for 1926 house
We are planning a kitchen and bathroom remodel in our...
crl_
Extruded Mortar
I have an older home built in the 1950`s which has...
calgaryhhr
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™