Remodeling leads to organization?

EngineerChicMarch 3, 2012

It seems so counterintuitive - but an impending remodel is really helping us pare back our "stuff". We are expanding the upstairs of our Cape but first we have to get EVERYTHING out of the upstairs.

We are staying in the house during the remodel, so we are living in about 1/3 less space than we're used to. In the process of emptying the closets and attic I am getting rid of a LOT of stuff. A lot of it is nice clothes that don't fit (I lost weight unexpectedly). But it feels SO GOOD! I think doing this in preparation for the remodel will mean we'll be even happier with our newly reconfigured 2nd floor (a few months from now).

I've been reading here for inspiration as I slog thru it all. You guys are an inspiration!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
talley_sue_nyc

Moving helps in the same way.

You have an extra benefit in that you will have this fresh space that you can look at and configure or outfit to help w/ storage. Install shelves, hooks, cubbies, etc.

One of my big mantras is "infrastructure!" (do a search on that word on the forum, and you'll find some of my musings)

It's no accident that the FIRST phrase of the cliche is "a place for everything"!

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 6:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

When I was younger, I moved frequently. Every move was an "opportunity" to go thru all my belongings and discard things I no longer used. I can't tell you how many food containers and butter tubs I chucked! A renovation is like a move. You do have to handle everything you own, even if it's just "the upstairs". It gives you a chance to see everything, decide if you love it/use it and to find a permanent place for it. Have fun!

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 8:20AM
More Discussions
I'm hoarding gluten-free food!
I was diagnosed w/ celiac a couple of years ago; I...
talley_sue_nyc
Please recommend a good paper shredder
I have a little one that can shred two sheets (max)...
bossyvossy
New cubicle. Organization and decorating help
Recently started a new job and now have a cubicle....
kaitie09
Get rid of cookbooks, and cook more?
About a year ago, I got rid of most of my cookbooks...
quasifish
I am donating like a madwoman!
In 2006, we put our home on the market, and to get...
talley_sue_nyc
Sponsored Products
Sterling Ensemble 72110106 42W x 75.75H in. Shower Module with Age in Place Back
$904.64 | Hayneedle
Danielle 2 Door Wall Cabinet
Overstock.com
Chartley Double Robe Hook
Signature Hardware
Green Hanger - Set of Four
$8.99 | zulily
Old Dutch Decor Copper Hammered Cookie Jar
Overstock.com
Fabbian | Beluga Color Wall Light - D57D03
$301.50 | YLighting
Wander Stand in White