chicken leg quarters

mikie_gwSeptember 27, 2007

How do I simply cook chicken leg quarters.

Grocery had them on sale so I bought their a 5 pack for $1.10 . Smallest/cheapest pack they had.

Now I'm not sure how to deal with them before they go bad.

Hate to freeze things like that because 9 months from now I'll wonder if its still any good. And I hate thaw things out.

But if I can simply cook them and use them through the week(end) for fast meal with a nuked potato and veggies.. I might go back for more early next week while they're still on sale.

Thanks!

mikiebookmark chicken

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Put them into a fryapn that has a lid, put about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom, turn the heat to medium and simmer until done....about 30 to 45 minutes. Temove skin (which will be soft and sloppy) and remove bones and there's your meat.
Or put them on a jelly roll pan covered with foil ( I am lazy!), sprinkle with salt and pepper, and perhaps garlic powder....maybe Lowrey's seasoned salt...and bake at 375 for 40 minutes....or at 425 for for 25 minutes.
The skin will be crispy.
Linda C

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 11:16AM
wizardnm

Most of the time I just cook them like fried chicken in a pan on the stove or roast in the oven (I don't use foil), then about 15 minutes before they are done I brush the skin with BBQ sauce. If you have a meat thermometer, test the thigh in the thickest part to see that it is 180 degrees.

There's lots of recipes around for chicken leg quarters, if you want to get fancier....

Nancy

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 11:46AM
teresa_nc7

This recipe is very easy and very good; you could use the leg quarters or just thighs:

Chicken Oreganato

"Lemon and oregano deftly flavor this accommodating chicken dish--you can serve it hot, cold or at room temperature."
INGREDIENTS:
7 chicken thighs
2 teaspoons dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
2. Wash chicken well and pat dry. Mix oregano with salt and pepper to taste. Rub well over all of the chicken pieces. Put chicken in a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
3. Whisk the oil with the lemon juice and drizzle half over the chicken. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Turn the chicken pieces and drizzle with the remaining oil/lemon mixture. Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm, cold or at room temperature!

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 12:49PM
terri_pacnw

Personally the prefered method of cooking for leg quarters is the grill..But injected first, because I'm not fond of thigh meat on it's own. But I love it injected with whatever favorite seasonings, then let marinate for a bit.

My husband actually cooks them..and he puts the whole lot in a foil pan on the grill covered with foil and lets them essentially steam to cook through, then takes them off, slathers with BBQ sauce and lets them get sticky.

Yummmy..I could eat that meat cold, hot or whatever...

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 1:13PM
lyndaluu2

I agree either on the BBQ or in the oven with salt, pepper and garlic powder and bake.

Linda

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 2:40PM
Gina_W

This one's a forum favorite, and you can use whatever chicken pieces you have:

Sol's Lemon Garlic Chicken

1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, parsley, basil and/or oregano
S & P to taste

1 3-1/2 pound fryer chicken, cut up
25 garlic cloves
3/4 cup chicken broth

In a small bowl, stir to combine, the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, 1/4 cup of the herbs, and salt and pepper.

Preheat oven to 425ºF. Arrange the chicken pieces in a roasting pan, and pour the lemon-herb mixture over. Arrange the garlic cloves all around the chicken, stirring them to coat with the mixture. Roast for about 45 minutes, or until the chicken pieces are golden brown.

Remove the chicken from the pan. Add the broth to the pan and place on top of the stove over medium-high heat. Stir to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan, while smooshing the roasted garlic to thicken the sauce slightly. I like to transfer the chicken to a platter, pour the sauce over the chicken and then, garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons herbs and lemon wedges.

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 2:51PM
hawk307

Mikie : They are so easy to cook , you will be amazed.
You can cook like all the others said or

throw them in a pan,rub on some oil ; sprinkle with Garlic powder, Onion Powder, Black Pepper, Parsley flakes,
along with potatoes, Onions, and Carrots.Put a little water in the pan.

Bake them in the oven at about 325 Deg. for about 1 1/2 hrs. or until they are browned nicely.
Enjoy !!!!! LOU

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 2:58PM
mikie_gw

OK.
I found two 8 inch square brownie pans? Scrubbed them well and lined them with foil. Poured into one some oil and orange juice. Then washed the chicken well and dipped & flopped and rubbed them around in the oil/oj mixture. Poured out the oil/oj left overs into a can.

Arranged my chicken in the pans and dribbled onto them a bit more of the oil and oj mixture.. then added maybe 3 ounces each of water and oj to the pans.
Sprinked on some Badia Complete Seasoning (tasty & cheap). Covered with foil and they are in the oven right now at 375°. Figure I'll unconver them in maybe half an hour & take them out in 40 minutes... maybe bbq in one pan.
Set thetimer for 40 minutes. Hopefully I dont forget .. Hopefully that's cooked.

I've not had much experience in oven nor chicken cooking.

Stuck a couple of foil wrapped small idaho baking potato's in the over too.

Mucho Thanks to everyone for the help & idea's!

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
Substitutions that turned out better than the "real thing?"
Hi, all. The other day I wanted one of my "go-to"...
kiwigem
Once it was so easy..............................
To find whatever one wanted quickly. Now everything...
Robert Givens
Slightly shocket at Joy of Baking video
I started watching the Apple Pie video and right at...
wintercat_gw
What's Your Favorite Meal? To cook, to eat, to repeat...
Celebrate the continuation of the forum, and tell me...
plllog
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™