kitchen floor has a hump

werewithallApril 9, 2007

Hi,

My house was built in the 1920's.

The depth of my kitchen (from front to back) is 9 ft.

If you were to walk from front of the kitchen to the back, the first 5 ft are flat and the last 4 ft slopes upwards to the back wall (incline is 5" high).

This hump seems to be contained in the kitchen only - it is not evident in the hallway and rooms adjacent to it.

Directly below this area (in the basement) there are no irregularities in the joists etc.

The previous owner lived in the home for 30 years and said the "hump" was there when they moved in.

How can I deal with this?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron6519

How many layers does the floor have? If the issue isn't in the joists, it's probably in the subfloors.
That age house could have several layers of linoleum, plywood, sheet vinyl, more ply, etc...
Ron

Bookmark   April 10, 2007 at 11:16PM
hendricus

Have you tried putting a level on the underside of the joists in the basement to see if there are really no irregularities? Our house from the 50/60s also has raised edges in the kitchen be cause the center of the house settled more than the outside. How to fix? I don't know but sounds like alot of work.

Bookmark   April 12, 2007 at 8:56AM
kimkitchy

We had a "hump" in our kitchen floor too. When we renovated the kitchen we took up all the flooring down to the joists. Then the GC came in and planed the joists so they would be flat. He was careful to say flat - not level! Ha, ha. We were afraid they would have to do work under the house, but they felt the joists were sound and solid. This only took them part of a day. Not bad at all.

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 1:11PM
ralph_daluisio_ngc_com

I've noticed that my kitcher floor has come unglued from the floor. The entire linoleum flooring has floated, it is of the roll type. How can I fix this without having to replace the entire floor?

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 12:01PM
calliope

Werewithall..............you may have had a home built before plumbing. I have had a couple farmhouses where the kitchen floor sloped to the exterior walls and my Daddy laughed and cleared up the mystery pretty quickly. What was my kitchen used to be a back porch and they build slopes into porches for drainage. The easiest way to add a room on was to enclose a porch and it was done all the time and often it was the kitchen got moved out to make more room in the core of the house and also get a larger, modern kitchen. In my kitchen doors led to a laundry room and there was the old trap door to the basement, and it had once been an outside trap door. I had a spring house under the kitchen so it was easy to run plumbing to the fixtures when they were installed and you could also see the change in the roof line from the main roof. Is that a possibility?

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 6:37PM
columbusguy1

Ralph, either reglue the flooring, or add quarter-round molding around the edges.

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 3:40AM
More Discussions
introduction
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
SPM2
Ceiling after dormer
Riddle me this. I am living in a 1910 1 3/4 story bungalow with...
fredsoldhouse
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
adamsmile
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
Stripper for stripper-resistant paint?
I'm having a tough time removing multiple layers of...
dilettante_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™