pier & beam aluminum cover plates

janicedallasApril 14, 2011

I am getting mixed messages about putting the sheet metal plates on the openings around the house. They have always made the home warmer in winter. Also, a tenant has misplaced the ones we had on his home and I don't know where to find more of them, thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jakabedy

What do you mean by "openings"? Are you talking about soffit vents? Or crawl space? I'm confused.

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 3:41PM
janicedallas

The crawl space around the bottom of the house has screened openings and the original owner put steel or aluminum plate covers on the openings in the winter but the covers are missing and I am wondering whether to replace them and also where to find them.

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 6:47AM
jakabedy

Hmmm. Those sound like they were probably custom-made. I've never heard of something like that in my area, but maybe someone who has will chime in. Rather than :lost" I would think those nice metal plate got stacked up in someone's truck and taken to a recycler for cash.

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 9:28AM
worthy

Yes, replace them as they will help save heating costs in the winter. You can find them on-line by Googling "crawlspace vent covers."

For better efficiency, consider un-venting the crawl winter and summer and treat the crawl walls, floor and ceiling appropriately. See link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Conditioned Crawl Space Construction

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 9:29PM
DavidR

I've seen thermostatically controlled crawl space vents that open in the summer and close in the winter.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 2:17AM
janicedallas

Thanks for the help. I found a hardware store that carries the wrong size for about $4.75 each so now I guess I need to look around.

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 5:31PM
janicedallas

Thanks for the help. I found a hardware store that carries the wrong size for about $4.75 each so now I guess I need to look around.

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 5:32PM
More Discussions
Stripper for stripper-resistant paint?
I'm having a tough time removing multiple layers of...
dilettante_gw
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
Foundation problem?
Hi all, this is a 1950s cape and every winter when...
kevingalaxy
introduction
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
SPM2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™