Experience with Icynene Foam Insulation?

chipster_2007April 15, 2008

I am also looking into insulating my home built 1930's. I have looked at cellulose but was interested in the icynene foam insulation I saw at the home show. I have also seen this used on "This Old House" more than once giving it some creditability that it is a good product. Given what happened to the polyurethane insulation problems years ago, I want to make absolutely sure there aren't any problems with this type of foam. It has been said that because it is open cell foam insul, that there aren't any problems with it if it gets wet, ie from a roof leak and that it just dries out thereby avoiding problems with mold and mildew. I am wondering just how true this is. I'd appreciate any imput regarding your experiences, good or bad, with this. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

polyurethane insulation problems years ago

The only concern with polyurethane that I know of is the use of Penta BDE as a fireproofing agent. Perhaps you were thinking of UFFI (urea formaldehyde foam insulation).

Here is a link that might be useful: Insulation--different types and advantages, disadvantages

Bookmark   April 16, 2008 at 12:39PM
More Discussions
Oh crap, plaster crack
I was removing a window casing so I could reposition...
graywings123
Stripper for stripper-resistant paint?
I'm having a tough time removing multiple layers of...
dilettante_gw
Dry Rot - Your Opinions, Please
Hello, Everyone... My husband and I are in the process...
TessieQ
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™