copper or fireclay farm sink for my busy family

waterpondgalFebruary 19, 2013

I'm wanting to know which is the lowest maintenance. I have small kids and do not want to have to worry about cracking or coloring the sink. Iwant the white sink but just unsure.... I've always had stainless steel said never had to worry about the breaking of dishes

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deeageaux

Fireclay sinks may crack if you poor boiling water into them on a cold morning or if the garbage disposal is installed incorrectly.

It can chip if you drop something heavy like cast iron cookware. It can stain if you let foods with a propensity to stain sit on the floor of the sink for an extended period of time.

If you get a cheap copper sink, particularly one from India,China,or Mexico, then it may require you to dry after use or to wax it from time to time. If you get a finish other than a natural unvarnished patina inside the sink it may permanently scratch or discolor.

If you get a good Copper sink with a natural patina finish on the inside the only real downside is that acidic foods will clean the patina and it will look uneven until the sink patinas over in a week or two. It does not show water spots or have permanent scratches like stainless steel. Any scratch will patina over in a week or two.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
How to Remove Counter with Weird Metal Strip Thing?
This counter isn't in a kitchen, but since most counters...
maggiepatty
rmkitchen or segrbrown are either of you still on this forum?
hello, I have been searching the site for folks who...
ponderosafarm
10 cm gap between cabinets and steel - help!
Hi all, Our kitchen designers have messed up their...
waytonc
Alternate granite idea to replace Cambrian black I had been planning?
My DH is killing me. We are doing white cabinets and...
happyallison
Please help me find an eco-friendly black-and-white floor!?
After more years than I care to admit, we are finally...
dawdlinmama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™