How far off counter should pendant lights be placed?

strayerdarbFebruary 28, 2014

They're hanging them right now. The ceilings are 10 feet tall. There are 2 pendants going over the island. Is there a rule of thumb as to how far off the counter the bottom of the pendants should be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trebruchet

Ours are at eye level and we like 'em just fine.

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 9:32AM
ck_squared

I think it is more dependent on the size of the pendants. Our pendants are approx. 6" round/sphere and they are 37" to the bottom of the pendant. We also have 10 ft. ceilings.

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 10:46AM
elphaba_gw

I'm sure this is too late for you but I'm so glad you brought up the question. I will also need to decide and the info at this link shows me that there is not a simple "one size fits all" answer.
Let us know how yours turns out.
http://www.wikihow.com/Determine-The-Proper-Height-For-A-Pendant-Lamp
(I'm sure there are other places on the web to find answer as well but this looked pretty good to me)

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 11:46AM
feisty68

Great article linked to above!

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 12:02PM
strayerdarb

We ended up with the pendants being 36" off the island. they're large upside down bell shaped from Pottery Barn. The electricians have to come back to do some more things next week, so if I want them changed they can do that. Thanks for the article!

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 5:55PM
lafdr

I think the better question is how far from the floor. I have a pet peeve against pendant lights hung so low that you have to be sure to look between them if trying to have a conversation across a counter. And they should be high enough that a tall guest (such as 6'5") can easily see beneath them if standing near them. I have the same comment for range hood heights. My tall husband gets frustrated to duck to cook with some range hoods.Or, to bump his head if he forgets to avoid hitting it.
lafdr

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 10:01PM
jimandanne_mi

Something to consider--

In our lower level kitchen, the peninsula is 38" deep, and the pendants are 26" from the counter. My daughter accidentally hit and broke one of the pendant globes.

In the main kitchen, the peninsula is 44" deep and the pendants are 31" from the counter. A number of times, when drying large pans or cookie sheets, I've almost hit one of these globes.

Anne

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 10:37PM
More Discussions
Dishwasher placement: 36" or 12" from the sink???
I have seen several pix of DW been placed NOT next...
eleena
Viatera Minuet
Hello! I am about to start a kitchen remodel and I'm...
cburky
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
Quartz Countertop Color
We are going with quartz countertop for our kitchen...
kathy6421
Those tall coil spring type faucets: Hard to clean?
Like this: http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/6382868/Residential-Coil-Spring-Brushed-Nickel-Faucet-f8de8fec-40cb-4993-a19b-7903391cc178_600.jpg (How...
raenjapan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™