Blasted floor registers; can I set bed over floor vent?

caroline94535January 20, 2010

I want to rearrange the master bedroom. I want to center the bed on the west wall, in front of a 48" window that looks out to the sunroom. I would add a long rod and cover the entire bed/nightstands area with drapes. This would completely cover the window and add a backdrop to the bed/headboard.

There is a heat vent, set in the floor and centered under the window. The headboard would be over the heat vent. The drapes would not touch the vent.

Is this a fire/safety hazzard?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If by vent you mean a hot air vent, rather than a baseboard, there is no safety issue. But it will negatively affect the efficiency of the system.

    Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 10:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Not only will you be blocking the heat from warming up the room, but you will have a very, very dusty area under there. Could you get some sort of extension - a "duct" that you can connect to the register that would maybe carry the heat through the duct and out from under the bed, preferably the foot of the bed? I don't know if I'm explaining myself clearly.

    Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 10:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks, folks.

Sue36 - It is a vent, not a baseboard, so I'm going to try duct extension. Right now my long dresser is over the vent, but the dresser is only 18" deep and had 8" tall legs.

SameBoat - The duct sounds like something I could do! I could run it out and under the nightstand and have it blowing toward the door that leads to the cold mudroom.

    Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 11:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Here you go:

vent extensions

    Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 11:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Yay! That's what I meant. Good luck and enjoy your new set-up!

    Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 11:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

These are the ones I use for the same purpose, also from Improvements catalog.

I just wouldn't be storing much of anything under the bed.

Here is a link that might be useful: air deflector

    Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 11:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Les, I've never seen that kind of deflector. Neat. I wonder if HoDe or Lowes carries them?
Pammy I've used those before but not under a low piece of furniture. Do they work for that?

    Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 11:59PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Why do you decorate?
I'm sure this has come up a million times before ....
what could make these sheers more modern?
The bamboo roman shade in one of these windows fell...
question about your bathroom vanity
I realize there is a bathroom forum but it doesn't...
Colored crystal chandelier
Does anyone have good pics of colored crystal chandys?...
Painting below chair rail to give appearance of wood paneling
Not in my budget to have wood panel wainscoting but...
Sponsored Products
Sophie Bath Bar by Studio Italia Design
$590.00 | Lumens
Fun Colors Drawer Set
$24.99 | zulily
Citrus Black Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Drink Up Table
$699.99 | Dot & Bo
Eros Pink White Pleated Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Polar Opposites Rug (8' x 10')
Red Fondue Set
$13.99 | zulily
Greens Black Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™