Resetting glass in old cabinet doors?

jlc102482April 16, 2012

I have a few glass front cabinet doors that either need a pane replaced or else need the existing pane reset because it's loose. I am not sure how to do this, because there is no molding on the inside of the door to keep the glass in place. The only thing keeping the glass in the door is some kind of glazing (?) that is very brittle and crumbling off. The doors are all about 100 years old.

What would be the best way to replace/reset the glass panes back into the doors? I want to make sure the glass stays in place even if the door is accidentally banged shut. Adhesive doesn't seem like it would be enough.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Caulk and glazing points

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 10:24AM
brickeyee

Not caulk, but glazing putty.

The way exterior windows have been done for a very long time (right up to the sealed gas units showed up).

Glazing putty is available in only a couple shades (brown and white being the moist common).

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 3:16PM
jlc102482

Great, thank you!

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 4:24PM
sombreuil_mongrel

You may tint putty with colorant (like paint) or apply stain after is has skinned over (a few weeks time). Dap 33 takes stain pretty well.
Casey

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 4:49PM
millworkman

yes i did mean putty, I know quite a few people would use cle silicone as well

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 8:21PM
lam702

Sorry, I am posting on an older forum, but for some reason, I cannot get the site to let me start a new message. So I am hoping I can get some opinions from everyone. I am refacing our cabinets and getting new doors. I thought it might look nice to get stained glass inserts for 2 of the doors. I've seen them done on both sides of the stove, and/or the sink. I don't want to overdo it, so I only wanted 2 doors in the glass. SInce the doors on either side of my stove are different sizes (one is very much narrower than the other) I decided against that. I thought I'd like to put them on either side of the sink, which is in front of a window. The only thing is, there is one cabinet to the right of the sink/window, and 2 cabinets to the left. Would it look odd to have the 2 doors on either side of the sink/window done in stained glass, but the 3rd door in wood? The doors I have selected are a raised panel light maple. All the cabinets, lower and upper are the same style. I am just concerned that the 3rd cabinet, with a wood door, might not look right next to the 2 stained glass doors. But I don't want to "overkill" the glass either. My kitchen is not that big, I just wanted 2 stained glass doors as a focal point, I think it would really dress the kitchen up. Thoughts?

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 10:09AM
maryinthefalls

How about the two next to each other in glass.

Try over a kitchens for the experts.

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 7:14PM
calliope

To the OP.........if the doors are taken off their hinges easily, and you haven't re-glazed before, you might find it easier to remove the doors and lay them flat to do it. That way, should the glass slide, it's not 'going anywhere'. It's not a hard job, but until you get the hang of it, the puttying isn't that easy to get a nice, smooth finish, and sometimes the points can be stubborn.

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 7:20PM
More Discussions
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
Ceiling after dormer
Riddle me this. I am living in a 1910 1 3/4 story bungalow with...
fredsoldhouse
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
How to get rid of the spiders?!
I love my old house, but so do spiders. My finished...
misslori
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™