Mommy's little helper

stephanie_in_gaFebruary 8, 2006

Since we've chatted many times about getting the kids involved with household duties...I have a funny story today.

I just moved a load of laundry from the washer to the dryer, with 3 y/o DS beside me saying "I want to help you."

Then I jumped into the shower.

When I came out, first I noticed the once full hamper of dirty towels was empty, so I went looking for where DS dumped them. His bathroom stool was in front of the washer. He filled teh washer with the dirty towels and a cup of laundry detergent dumped on top! He'll have to climb on top to reach the knobs, but I guess I might as well teach him start the washer. Can't wait to tell his older siblings that their little brother is doing a better job at chores than they are! LOL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quiltglo

Too cute.

Mine have loved to pour in the soap and pull the start knob. I really think my youngest learned numbers this way because he liked to set the time, too.

You'd think throwing in that dryer sheet and pushing the dryer start button was some big thrill around here.

Gloria

Bookmark   February 8, 2006 at 2:24PM
des_arc_ya_ya

LOL Sweet story. I have a DGD who LOVES to load the dishwasher, put in the soap and start it. She's 5. Her 10 year old sister thinks it's like the curse of death! Better get'em while they're young! LOL

Bookmark   February 8, 2006 at 5:27PM
talley_sue_nyc

my DS loved to sort laundry--I'd toss it (from across the room); he'd catch it, and shoud out which washer it went in.

At 3, they get dangerous--they don't get into stuff just to get into it, but they decide that they are competent, and they want to DO things, and so they mess w/ stuff they ordinarily wouldn't.

Time to teach 'em, that's what that is--give them the whys, and hows, and cautions, etc. If they can learn all the details about dinosaurs, they can learn all about laundry, etc.

Bookmark   February 8, 2006 at 5:46PM
intherain

Stephanie, that is a sweet story. One that I can't identify with, since my kids NEVER showed an interest in laundry!!! Yep, start 'em young!

Sheryl (who teaches 3 year olds and absolutely loves this age group!!!)

Bookmark   February 9, 2006 at 1:38AM
davidandkasie

my daughter does the same thing, she has to help load the dishwasher, clothes washer, and dryer.

one word of warning though, if your 3 year old climbs on the washer, turns it on, and falls in head first, he will drown. teach him NOT to put anything in there unless you are standing there. a 2 1/2 year old across town drowned just this way about 3 months ago.

Bookmark   February 15, 2006 at 1:35PM
jannie

I recall reading about a todler who drowned in a bucket of washwater his mom left in the kitchen after mopping the floor. Tragic, but one must always be careful. My cousin who baby-sits her young grandson has a pond in the backard and he is never allowed outside alone.

Bookmark   February 17, 2006 at 5:26PM
More Discussions
How do you let go of stuff that's worth money?
On the "share your success" thread, taft...
talley_sue_nyc
Missing the Garden Web Already
I feel betrayed by the sale of the Garden Web to Houzz....
gardenwebcupofkindness
Where to donate a 15yo nebulizer
Years ago, when my now-17-y-o was a little one, he...
talley_sue_nyc
Meet and Greet - Please Introduce yourself!
I don't think I've ever seen that happen on this particular...
claire_de_luna
Organizing/de cluttering success (please share yours too!)
I cleaned out and organized the tool box! We live in...
sloedjinn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™