Decluttering pays off - found $670.00!

alicesRestaurantFebruary 2, 2005

I decluttered my underwear drawer today. I think it has been years since I threw away any underwear. Just kept buying new and piling on top. Also, threw away many, many socks with holes and hose that I no longer wear. Felt great but the best part was that in the process, I found two envelopes of money, total of $670.00. WhoooHooooooo!

I remember now where the money came from. The best part is that I already had the expences that they were supposed to be applied to, paid for under a separate process. Sure was a safe place to keep it. LOL

I think I must win the award for most disorganized, to have that much money in a drawer and not even remember/know it!

--Alice

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claire_de_luna

WOW!

Just goes to show that creating a little space gives back!

Bookmark   February 2, 2005 at 1:57PM
cupofkindness

Claire's message goes double for me. WOW! WOW!

Bookmark   February 2, 2005 at 2:26PM
artmom

LOL, good for you!!!

Bookmark   February 2, 2005 at 2:34PM
Wendy_the_Pooh

Yay! That's a lot of moolah.

Bookmark   February 2, 2005 at 2:50PM
talley_sue_nyc

hooray!

(and actually, I've done something similar. Not QUITE so forgetful, but...

My MIL gives me money for my b'day, Christmas, etc. It makes me uncomfortable, sometimes. Because it's just a teeny bit more than I'm comfortable w/. And I'm not used to getting money. I'm supposed to find something to buy with it, but I don't actually. So I kept sticking it in an envelope in my nightstand. And then, when I redid my drawer, I put it under the new false bottom.

That added up a lot, too! I knew *that* it was there, I wasn't surprised to find it, but I didn't know how much and THAT surprised me. And I just didn't think about it.

I once, when I was a high-school kid, was throwing out purses I didn't use anymore. I checked all the pockets, esp. because I was wondering if a ballpoint pen I'd loved had gotten inside one of the pockets. I found $50! I never did remember where it came from--it was a nice, crisp fifty-dollar bill!

Bookmark   February 2, 2005 at 3:54PM
anrsaz

Boy if that isn't an inspiration to clean out clothes and purses, what is?

Bookmark   February 2, 2005 at 6:22PM
rosieo

On the flip side, I once gave away a load of clothes directly from my closet to a charity. Only months later did I remember that I had stashed some heirloom jewelry in a pocket of my old bathrobe thinking that would outsmart any burglars....ouch!

Bookmark   February 3, 2005 at 10:59AM
claire_de_luna

rosieo, I'm feeling your ouch! That one hurt me!

I didn't mention it, but I found $55 from the last yard sale during my closet makeover. I managed to spend the rest of it, and think I was hanging onto this so I wouldn't have to go to the bank. Too bad I hadn't remembered I even had it! You know, that's the thing about what gets Stuffed Away...Memory Collapse.

Bookmark   February 3, 2005 at 11:17AM
Sylvia

THat is a wonderful find!

Bookmark   February 3, 2005 at 11:27AM
mvastian

What a find Alice!

I'VE never found money while decluttering... not even small change - every little coin stays in our wallets and gets used.

Maria

Bookmark   February 4, 2005 at 8:01AM
deee_gw

I rarely post on this forum but lurk alot. I would like to share a decluttering = cash story that happened to my friend. She had inherited a bunch of her mother's old purses and decided it was time to sell them in a garage sale. She has been having money problems and as she was going through the purses she thought how nice it would be to find some money from her mother. Sure enough, in the next purse, she found two $50 bills.

Bookmark   February 4, 2005 at 5:35PM
More Discussions
Please recommend a good paper shredder
I have a little one that can shred two sheets (max)...
bossyvossy
I am donating like a madwoman!
In 2006, we put our home on the market, and to get...
talley_sue_nyc
Organizing/de cluttering success (please share yours too!)
I cleaned out and organized the tool box! We live in...
sloedjinn
What to do with hundreds of CDs
I have nice storage boxes filled with hundreds of CDs...
janeway452
Where to donate a 15yo nebulizer
Years ago, when my now-17-y-o was a little one, he...
talley_sue_nyc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™