best place to buy heat registers and push button switch covers

remodel-mamaApril 27, 2010

Hi all,

I am shopping around for heat registers and push button light swtiches/covers for a 1912 Edwardian house. Can anyone out there recommend the cheapest source for these types of items?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lesterd

Push button switchplate covers and switches - classicaccents.net. Everyone else (rejuvenation etc) sells these identical items, but at a markup.). I've bought many from this vendor and they have great customer service

Heating registers - architectural salvage stores. Then you'd have to strip paint/refinish. If that doesn't work, Reggio Registers has new/old covers as well.

I'm not connected to either company.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 5:51AM
columbusguy1

Fortunately, my house has all it's original switches, but I did get two from classic--one to replace a broken switch, the other to put in the back bedroom which has no lighting fixtures, just wall-mounted outlets! My switch covers are all brass, with a great patina from the years of use. I had to have one specially made for a switch and an outlet, and the company only had shiny brass-wish I knew how to get the finish to become antiqued!
For registers, I looked at Reggio's catalogue and wasn't thrilled with either the styles or prices. I don't think shiny brass works in an old house (mine is 1908)--my registers are all cast iron and black in color, whether they are wall-mounted or floor-mounted. Check not only salvage stores, but antique shops as well--a large one here has a whole bunch of registers in assorted sizes and styles--I bought one when I put in an extra register in my living room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greater Columbus Antique Mall

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 1:54AM
remodel-mama

thank you!

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 2:57AM
slateberry51

For range of selection I like House of Antique Hardware. I have gotten many compliments on things I've ordered from them, and while it can get pricey fast, they seem to try to offer a wide range of price points in their product lines, and even the inexpensive or "low-end" items I have bought have turned out to be quiet nice. My only issue is is than an unlacquered brass push plate I bought from them turned out to be lacquered, and it was tedious to strip it.

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 10:06AM
jlc102482

I second House of Antique Hardware. Their antique rubbed finish is really nice. I purchased some egg and dart push-button covers from them (as well as some kitchen hardware) and the quality and price was right, along with lightning-fast shipping.

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 3:25PM
More Discussions
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
1850s exterior door hardware?
I have an 1857 Italianate-ish home that is missing...
jlc102482
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™