made a different kind of charitable donation

ronbreFebruary 21, 2010

yesterday i went to the hairdresser and donated all of my hair to locks of love..not even enough left to put into a pony tail.

not sure i like the style..but am sure i'm glad i had the guts to go ahead and cut it all off and donate it..again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

Good for you!!
My niece did that too. I'm sure that the Cancer patient that recieves a wig of your hair will greatly appreciate it.

Every time you look in the mirror, think about what you did. Your shorn locks are a badge of courage and generosity, glory in them.

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 1:35PM
socks

You are so kind. Your current haircut is only temporary.

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 9:14PM
jannie

I go to a yarn store where they give classes. They encourage customer to knit chemo caps for charity. For every cap I donate, I get either a free knitting class or a chance to win $200 in knitting supplies. So far I've made 2. Think I'll go for one class and one chance at the free merchandise. Can't post photos, but I'll describe the caps-one is green and white stripes, the other is multi-color.

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 8:10AM
jannie

I have long hair, past my shoulders. I tried to donate my hair but they wouldn't take it. My hair has been colored, highlighted, and permed. They only want VIRGIN hair. I lost my virginity long ago, snigger!

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 8:16AM
ronbre

really, i've never heard that..although my hair was a virgin..tee hee.

i do know they require at least 12" available to be cut off ..so maybe that was the problem..mine was to my butt..(oh does that still make it a virgin?)...anyway..so i had enough but just past your shoulders might have not been enough

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 1:37PM
oilpainter

jannie:

Just think about what you said. How could they possibly make a wig with hair that is permed streaked and colored. The perm will eventually go. The bleached streaking will stay but the color will fade. A wig made from your hair would be a disaster not a blessing.

If you were really serious you'd let it go back to your natural state and color and then donate.

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 3:30PM
jannie

My hair grows so slowly. Let's see, at one tenth inch a month, it would take ten months to grow an inch, 120 months to grow the minimum 12 inches. That would take about ten years. And did I mention I'm getting bald on the right side of my head?

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 2:14PM
jannie

I think I'll stick to my knitting!

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 5:32PM
graywings123

Ann Curry of the Today show has donated her hair a couple of times.

Bookmark   February 25, 2010 at 6:45PM
More Discussions
Large closet advice
I'm turning a spare bedroom into a dressing room and...
helsharmar
Where to donate a 15yo nebulizer
Years ago, when my now-17-y-o was a little one, he...
talley_sue_nyc
I am donating like a madwoman!
In 2006, we put our home on the market, and to get...
talley_sue_nyc
Best life lesson I ever learned
Best life lesson I ever learned was at 25 years old...
swissmissmama
Please recommend a good paper shredder
I have a little one that can shred two sheets (max)...
bossyvossy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™