I've been getting involved at GW over the past month since my wife and I are about to start an addition on our house in the Washington DC Area. The biggest task to the interior is deciding how to organize our massive (at least to us) new kitchen. I'll have another thread with my appliance decision questions, but for now I want to tackle the layout of appliance location and ask the excellent advice of fellow GW'ers.
See below for my current sketch.
The area in the top left is where the large dining room table will be located. The french doors to the right open to our new deck.
Upper cabinets are designed to be on the bottom wall (same wall as the cooktop & fridge) only.
We would like built in seating in the corner for casual dinners, as well as a few bar stools at the island for conversation when my wife is cooking.
I was trying to avoid the cooktop in the island just for ease of venting (the bottom wall is an exterior wall.
We need two ovens, but we don't care if one is built into a slide-in range, two single ovens, or one double oven.
We plan on putting a microwave in the pantry.
So my questions are:
1) Where would you place the ovens? In the island? By the fridge? (they're currently not drawn in here anywhere)
2) Should the sink (or cooktop) be in the island, or leave the island open for prep space (our current thinking)
3) We'd like a "coffee station" area and a "dog bowl" area, in either to the left of the built in seating, and/or north of the pantry. Right now those are just represented by a counter top w/base cabinets. Which makes the most sense in each location?
4) Is there enough space to walk through to the deck w/ bar stools?
5) Should we move the fridge to north of the pantry to gain more counter space by the cooktop? We are afraid the 'work triangle' becomes too far apart this way.
Thanks, I'll stop at 5 questions for now :)