Freeze apple crisp before or after baking?

pfmastinSeptember 25, 2007

I'm hoping someone canhelp me. I want to freeze an apple crisp. Should I do it before I bake or after? Thank you!

Pam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wizardnm

I'd freeze it before baking, it will taste much fresher.

I was just looking for a question someone asked about freezing apples... I just came across this idea, posted on another forum... sorta applies to your question too!

Freezing Apples For Pies

Peel and slice apples into a pie pan. Freeze - no Fruit Fresh needed. When frozen, slip the apples into a Ziploc or other plastic bag. When ready to use, slip the apples into a unbaked pie shell.

Mix 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup sugar with 4 tablespoons flour and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle on the top of apples. Cover with top crust. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 for 30 minutes.

Nancy

Bookmark   September 25, 2007 at 9:39AM
lucyny

Pam,
I happened to freeze one that was baked first. When we wanted it I defrosted the night before in refrigerator & & while I was cooking I had taken it out to come to room temp & heated up w/o any problems. The crumb topping was still nice & crisp.

It may work w/o being baked first but not sure, someone may come along w/info about that.

Lucy

Bookmark   September 25, 2007 at 9:44AM
fearlessem

I agree with Lucy about freezing after baking - my husband and I are not fond of the the consistency of apples that have been frozen before baking...

Emily

Bookmark   September 25, 2007 at 10:11AM
More Discussions
So what is "a bunch"?
It drives me crazy when recipes call for a bunch of...
laceyvail
Apologies to St. Patrick
Not even the corned beef was done the traditional way....
dcarch7
Half Ham (bone-in)
Which is best, shank or butt. If the package doesn't...
ryseryse_2004
Cool feature I've just noticed (OT)
Has anyone else noticed that you can click on a picture...
sally2_gw
roasted brussel sprouts with pancetta and onions
Son has requested this for Easter dinner. Would love...
glenda_al
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™